Concurrent Partnerships as a Driver of the HIV Epidemic in Sub-Saharan Africa? The Evidence is Limited
- 903 Downloads
The authors would like to thank Brian Williams, Richard White, Jeff Eaton and Monica Bertoia for their valuable input. Support for this work came in part from a KO1 Career Development Grant to Dr. Lurie (MH069113-O1A1).
- Boily, M. C., Baggaley, R. F., Wang, L., Masse, B., White, R. G., Hayes, R. J., et al. (2009). Heterosexual risk of HIV-1 infection per sexual act: Systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 9(2):118–129. doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(09)70021-0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Doherty, I. A., Shiboski, S., Ellen, J. M., Adimora, A. A., & Padian, N. S. (2006). Sexual bridging socially and over time: A simulation model exploring the relative effects of mixing and concurrency on viral sexually transmitted infection transmission. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 33(6):368–373. doi:10.1097/01.olq.0000194586.66409.7a.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Epstein, H. (2007). The invisible cure. Why we are losing the fight against AIDS in Africa. New York: Picador.Google Scholar
- Hill, A. B. (1971). Statistical evidence and inference. Principles of medical statistics (9th ed.) (pp. 309–323). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kalichman, S. C., Ntseane, D., Nthomang, K., Segwabe, M., Phorano, O., & Simbayi, L. C. (2007). Recent multiple sexual partners and HIV transmission risks among people living with HIV/AIDS in Botswana. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 83:371–375. doi:10.1136/sti.2006.023630.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mah, T. L., & Halperin, D. T. (2008). Concurrent sexual partnerships and the HIV epidemics in Africa: Evidence to move forward. AIDS and Behavior, 22. Epub ahead of print.Google Scholar
- Mishra, V., & Assche, S. B.-V. (2009). Concurrent sexual partnerships and HIV infection: Evidence from national population-based surveys. DHS Working Paper 62. Accessed at http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/WP62/WP62.pdf on May 5, 2009.
- Sandoy, I. F., Dzekedzeke, K., & Fylkesnes, K. (2008). Prevalence and correlates of concurrent sexual partnerships in Zambia. AIDS and Behavior, 8. Epub ahead of print.Google Scholar
- UNAIDS. (2003). AIDS epidemic update: December 2003. Geneva: UNAIDS.Google Scholar
- UNAIDS. (2007). AIDS epidemic update: December 2007. Geneva: UNAIDS.Google Scholar