HIV Infection Among Internally Displaced Women and Women Residing in River Populations Along the Congo River, Democratic Republic of Congo
- 398 Downloads
We conducted a reproductive health assessment among women aged 15–49 years residing in an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp and surrounding river populations in the Democratic Republic of Congo. After providing informed consent, participants were administered a behavioral questionnaire on demographics, sexual risk, reproductive health behavior, and a history of gender based violence. Participants provided a blood specimen for HIV and syphilis testing and were referred to HIV counseling and testing services established for this study to learn their HIV status. HIV prevalence was significantly higher among women in the IDP population compared to women in the river population. Sexually transmitted infection symptoms in the past 12 months and a history of sexual violence during the conflict were associated with HIV infection the river and IDP population, respectively. Targeted prevention, care, and treatment services are urgently needed for the IDP population and surrounding host communities during displacement and resettlement.
KeywordsHIV Sexually transmitted infections Displacement Conflict
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). (2006). 2006 report on the global AIDS epidemic. Geneva: UNAIDS.Google Scholar
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). (2008a). UNAIDS/WHO epidemiological fact sheets on HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections, 2008 update. Geneva: UNAIDS.Google Scholar
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). (2008b). 2008 report on the global AIDS epidemic. Geneva: UNAIDS.Google Scholar
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). (2005). DRC: First of thousands of refugees return to Equateur. Retrieved Sept 20, 2006, from IRIN: The humanitarian news and analysis service of the UN office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs web site: http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=54134.
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). (2002). Affected populations in the great lakes region as of 31st July 2002. Retrieved Feb 15, 2009, from ReliefWeb Web site: http://wwww.reliefweb.int/rw/RWFiles2002.nsf/FilesByRWDocUNIDFileName/ACOS-64CP6W-ocha-glr-31jul.pdf/$File/ocha-glr-31jul.pdf.