Cooptation or solidarity: food sovereignty in the developed world
- 176 Downloads
This paper builds on previous research about the potential downsides of food sovereignty activism in relatively wealthy societies by developing a three-part taxonomy of harms that may arise in such contexts. These are direct opposition, false equivalence, and diluted goals and methods. While this paper provides reasons to resist complacency about wealthy-world food sovereignty, we are optimistic about the potential for food sovereignty in wealthy societies, and we conclude by describing how wealthy-world food sovereignty can be a location of either transnational solidarity or (at least) nonharmful forms of cooptation.
KeywordsFood ethics Food sovereignty Food justice Solidarity
Border Agricultural Workers Project
Black lives matter
La Confédération Paysanne
La Vía Campesina
Men’s Rights activists
National Family Farm Coalition
Canadian National Farmers Union
We thank the participants in the 2015 Michigan State University Workshop on Food Justice and the 2017 McGill University Workshop on Food Justice, as well as three anonymous referees, for helpful criticisms and comments.
- Appelbaum, B. 2016. Simmering for decades, anger about trade boils over in’16 election. The New York Times, 29 March. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/business/economy/trade-donald-trump-bernie-sanders.html. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- BLM. 2017. About. Black Lives Matter. http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/. Accessed 13 Jun 2017.
- Border Agricultural Workers Project. 2016. What Is the BAWP? http://www.farmworkers.org/bawpdesc.html. Accessed 2 Apr 2017.
- Borras, S.M., and J.C. Franco. 2010. Food sovereignty & redistributive land policies: exploring linkages, identifying challenges. In Food sovereignty: Reconnecting food, nature and community, eds. H. Wittman, A.A. Desmarais, and N. Wiebe, 106–119. Oakland, CA: Food First.Google Scholar
- Butler, J., and G. Yancy. 2015. What’s wrong with ‘All Lives Matter’? The New York Times Opionator: The Stone. 12 January. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/12/whats-wrong-with-all-lives-matter/. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- Carmichael, S., and C. V. Hamilton. 1967. Black power: The politics of liberation in America. New York, NY: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Coleman-Jensen, A., M.P. Rabbitt, C. A. Gregory, and A. Singh. 2016. Household food security in the United States in 2015. Economic Research Report Number 215. United States Department of Agriculture. https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/79761/err-215.pdf?v=42636. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- Coston, B.M., and M. Kimmel. 2013. White men as the new victims: Reverse discrimination cases and the men’s rights movement. Nevada Law Journal 13 (2): 5.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2015. The state of food insecurity in the world. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4646e.pdf. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- Farrell, W. 1993. The myth of male power: Why men are the disposable sex. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Flora, C. 2010. Book review: Schanbacher, William D.. The politics of food: the global conflict between food security and food sovereignty. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 24: 545–547.Google Scholar
- Kington, T. 2009. Anti-immigrant Italians find a new foe: food from abroad. The Guardian, 14 November. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/15/italys-kebab-war-hots-up. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- La Confédération Paysanne. 2017. Qui sommes-nous? [Who are we?]. http://www.confederationpaysanne.fr/gen_article.php?id=8&t=QUI%20SOMMES-NOUS%20?&PHPSESSID=80kmdfmqlu0tagmbs9tmchb7f3. Accessed 27 Jun 2017.
- La Vía Campesina. 2007. Declaration of Nyéléni. La Vía Campesina International Peasant’s Movement. 27 February. https://viacampesina.org/en/declaration-of-nyi/. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- La Vía Campesina. 2017. The international peasant’s voice. La Vía Campesina International Peasant’s Movement. 7 July. https://viacampesina.org/en/international-peasants-voice/. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- La Vía Campesina Denmark. 2017. Madsuverænitet I Danmark [Food sovereignty in Denmark]. Juelsminde: Form & Farve. http://www.eurovia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-Food-sovereingty-in-DK-.pdf. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- National Family Farm Coalition. 2016. National Family Farm Coalition. National Family Farm Coalition. http://nffc.net/. Accessed 2 Apr 2017.
- National Farmers Union. 2016. About the National Farmers Union | National Farmers Union. http://www.nfu.ca/about/about-national-farmers-union. Accessed 2 Apr 2017.
- Navin, M. 2015. Food sovereignty and gender justice: The case of La Vía Campesina. In Just Food: philosophy, justice and food, ed. J.M. Dieterle, 87–100. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield International.Google Scholar
- NCFH. 2012. Farmworker health factsheet. National Center for Farmworker Health, Inc. http://www.ncfh.org/uploads/3/8/6/8/38685499/fs-migrant_demographics.pdf. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- Patel, R. 2012. Food sovereignty: Power, gender, and the right to food. PLOS Medicine 9 (6): 1–4.Google Scholar
- Pimbert, M. 2009. Towards food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems. London: IIED.Google Scholar
- Rosset, P.M. 2006. Food is different: Why the WTO should get out of agriculture. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Rural Vermont. 2012. EIGHT communities demonstrate support on town meeting day for Vermonters feeding Vermonters | Rural Vermont. http://www.ruralvermont.org/press-releases/eight-communities-demonstrate-support-on-town-meeting-day-for-vermonters-feeding-vermonters/. Accessed 12 Aug 2017.
- Schiavoni, C. 2009. The global struggle for food sovereignty: From Nyéléni to New York. Special Section: Food Sovereignty 36 (3): 682–689.Google Scholar
- Scholz, S.J. 2008. Political solidarity. University Park, PA: Penn State University Press.Google Scholar
- U.S. Food Sovereignty Alliance. 2016. Food sovereignty | USFSA. http://usfoodsovereigntyalliance.org/what-is-food-sovereignty/. Accessed 2 April 2017.
- USDHHS. 2017. U.S. federal poverty guidelines used to determine financial eligibility for certain federal programs. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- Vogt, A. 2016. Italian city to limit ‘ethnic eateries’ after explosion in kebab shops—Telegraph. The Telegraph, 28 February. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/12175002/Italian-city-to-limit-ethnic-eateries-after-explosion-in-kebab-shops.html. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.
- World Forum on Food Sovereignty. 2001. Final declaration of World Forum on Food Sovereignty. 7 September. http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/footnmouth/foodsovdec.html. Accessed 17 Aug 2017.