The ghosts of taste: food and the cultural politics of authenticity
- 815 Downloads
We add a political culture dimension to the debate over the politics of food. Central to food politics is the cultural granting of authenticity, experienced through the conjuring of relational presences of authorship. These presences derive from the faces and the places of relationality, what we term the ghosts of taste, by which food narratives articulate claims of the authorship of food by people and environments, and thus claim of authenticity. In this paper, we trace the often-conflicting presences of authenticating ghosts in food along a prominent axis of current debate: the local versus the global. The three cases outlined here—Greek food, Thousand Island dressing, and wild rice—illustrate the recovery and suppression of the lingering spirits of both local and global faces and places in what we taste, and show the mutually interdependent consequence of culture and economics in food politics.
KeywordsPlace Food Localism Food systems Agriculture Authenticity
We would like to acknowledge the contributions of Joe LaGarde, an enrolled member of the White Earth Reservation of the Anishinaabe people.
- Authentic Greek Food. 2006. Cyprus forum. http://www.cyprus-forum.com/cyprus7638.html. Accessed 1 Jan 2007.
- Carlson, B. 2002. The bio-piracy of wild rice: Genome mapping of a sacred food. http://www.gene-watch.org/genewatch/articles/15-4wildrice.html. Accessed 2 April 2003.
- Cascade Harvest Coalition. 2007. Farm to table: Connecting local farmers with local food buyers. http://www.cascadeharvest.org/FarmtoTable.htm. Accessed 9 July 2007.
- Chi, K., J. MacGregor, and R. King. 2009. Fair miles: Recharting the food miles map. Oxford and London: Oxfam and International Institute for Economic Development.Google Scholar
- Clayton Chamber of Commerce. 2007. Restaurants, diners, and fast foods. http://www.1000islands-clayton.com/. Accessed 9 July 2007.
- CommunitySights. 2003. Welcome to Alexandria Bay, New York. http://www.alexandria-bay.ny.us/. Accessed 9 July 2007.
- Earth Pledge. 2006. Farm to table initiative. http://www.earthpledge.org/farm.html. Accessed 9 July 2007.
- Farmer, F. M. 1924. The Boston cooking-school cookbook. Revised, 4th edn. Boston: Little, Brown & Company.Google Scholar
- Farmer, F. M. (1965) The Fannie Farmer cookbook. Revised, 11th edn. Boston: Little, Brown & Company.Google Scholar
- Friedmann, H. 1994. Distance and durability: Shaky foundations of the world economy. In The global restructuring of agro-food systems, ed. P. McMichael, 258–276. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Grasseni, C. 2003. Packaging skills, calibrating cheese to the global market. In Commodifying everything, ed. S. Strasser, 259–276. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Guthman, J. 2004. Agrarian dreams. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Indian Country Today. 2002. Don’t meddle with manoomin say Ojibwe. http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1026741108. Accessed 6 July 2007.
- LaDuke, W., and B. Carlson. 2002. Gego anjitooken manoomin, “Don’t change the rice.” http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1028638942. Accessed 6 July 2007.
- LaDuke, W. 2007. Minnesota’s manoomin gets legal state protection. News from Indian Country 21(11): 39.Google Scholar
- Legun, K. Forthcoming. Cultivating institutions: Organic agriculture and the integration of economic and environmental choice. Society and Natural Resources. Google Scholar
- Leong, R.C., and D.T. Nakanishi (eds.). 2002. Asian Americans on war and peace. Los Angeles: UCLA Asian American Studies Center Press.Google Scholar
- McDonald’s Corporation. 2005. McDonald’s USA: From the farm to the table. http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/farmtotable.html. Accessed 9 July 2007.
- Newbury, U., and M. Phelps. 2005. Join the real food revival! Buy fresh from local farmers and enjoy the world’s healthiest, best-tasting food. Mother Earth News. http://www.motherearthnews.com. Accessed 7 July 2007.
- Niman, B., and J. Fletcher. 2005. The Niman Ranch cookbook: From farm to table with America’s finest meat. Singapore: Ten Speed Press.Google Scholar
- Rich, S. 2007. The fair tracing project. http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/006245.html. Accessed 30 March 2007.
- Synodinou, D. 2001. US exporters: Don’t let it be “All Greek” to you! (forecasting Greece’s import market). AgExporter 13(5): 4–6.Google Scholar
- Thousand Islands Inn. 2007. Thousand island dressing: Enjoyed around the world and… “MADE IN CLAYTON!” http://www.1000-islands.com/dressing/. Accessed 7 Sept 2007.
- USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. 2006. FAS Worldwide. http://www.fas.usda.gov/info/fasworldwide/maghome.htm. Accessed 1 Jan 2006.
- Watson, J. 1997. Golden arches east: McDonald’s in East Asia. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar