Corporate cooptation of organic and fair trade standards
- 3.8k Downloads
Recent years have seen a substantial increase in alternative agrifood initiatives that attempt to use the market to curtail the negative social and environmental effects of production and trade in a globalized food system. These alternatives pose a challenge to capital accumulation and the externalization of environmental costs by large agribusiness, trading and retail firms. Yet the success of these alternatives also makes them an inviting target for corporate participation. This article examines these dynamics through a case study of the two most significant such food system alternatives—organics and fair trade—focusing on corporate involvement in establishing and renegotiating the standards undergirding these initiatives. We compare the development of and contestation over the standards for both certified organic and certified fair trade, with particular attention to the U.S. context. We provide a brief history of their parallel processes of rapid growth and market mainstreaming. We examine claims of cooptation by movement participants, as well as the divergences and similarities between the organic and fair trade cases. Analyzing these two cases provides useful insights into the strategic approaches that corporate firms have deployed to further capital accumulation and to defuse threats to their profit margins and to status quo production, pricing, labor, trading and retailing practices. It can also offer valuable lessons regarding the most effective means of responding to such counter-reforms and of protecting or reasserting the more transformative elements at the heart of these alternative systems.
KeywordsCertification Cooptation Corporations Fair trade Organic Social justice Social movements Standards
Alternative trade organization
Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International
Non governmental organization
National Organic Standards Board
Organic Consumers Association
Organic Foods Production Act of 1990
United States Department of Agriculture
- Anonymous. 2008. Health & wellness sales topped $102 billion in '07: study. Progressive Grocer, July 7.Google Scholar
- Bacon, C., and Coordinadora Latinoamericana y del Caribe de Pequeños Productores de Comercio Justo (CLAC). 2006. Estudio de costos y propuesta de precios para sostener el café, las familias productores y organizaciones certificadas por comercio justo en america latina y el caribe. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: CLAC.Google Scholar
- Baden-Meyer, A. 2008. Testimony from the OCA to USDA on preserving organic standards and expanding organics. http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_12488.cfm. Accessed 3 July 2008.
- Bahra, P. 2009. Tea workers still waiting to reap fairtrade benefits. The Times (UK), Jan 2. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5429888.ece. Accessed 23 Feb 2009.
- Barrientos, S., M.E. Conroy, and E. Jones. 2007. Northern social movements and fair trade. In Fair trade: The challenges of confronting globalization, ed. L.T. Raynolds, D. Murray, and J. Wilkinson, 51–62. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bastian, H. 2006. Keeping fair trade fair in Mexico. NACLA Report on the Americas 39 (6): 6.Google Scholar
- Brown, M.B. 1993. Fair trade: Reform and realities in the international trading system. London: Zed.Google Scholar
- Conner, D. 2004. Beyond organic: Information provision for sustainable agriculture in a changing market. Journal of Food Distribution Research 35 (1): 34–39.Google Scholar
- Crowther, B. 2005. Head of Communications, Fairtrade Foundation. E-mail from Fairtrade Foundation to fair-trade supporters. 7 Oct.Google Scholar
- Cummins, R. 2002. Is USDA organic grade B organic? http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/gradeb092902.cfm. Accessed 23 May 2008.
- Cummins, R., and A. Eidinger. 2006. USDA attempts to pack organic standards board with corporate agribusiness reps. http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_3526.cfm. Accessed 2 Jul 2008.
- DeLind, L.B. 2000. Transforming organic agriculture into industrial organic products: Reconsidering national organic standards. Human Organization 59 (2): 198–208.Google Scholar
- Eden Foods. 2006. Why Eden foods chooses not to use the USDA seal. Press Release, 19 June. http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=78. Accessed 2 June 2008.
- Eilperin, J., and J. Black. 2008. USDA panel approves first rules for labeling farmed fish ‘organic.’ Washington Post 20 Nov: A21.Google Scholar
- Erickson, G. 2004. Raising the bar: Integrity and passion in life and business: The story of Clif Bar & Co. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Fair Trade Association of Australia and New Zealand (FTAANZ). 2007. FLO-Cert gets ISO 65 accreditation. http://www.fta.org.au/node/1962?PHPSESSID=36b08eead7ffffd51354237c180772fb. Accessed 10 Jan 2009.
- Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). 2007a. Global fairtrade sales increase by 40%, benefiting 1.4 million farmers worldwide. http://www.fairtrade.net/single_view.html?cHash=b3703de592&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=168&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=26. Accessed 29 Jul 2008.
- Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). 2007b. Final FLO governance structure. http://www.fairtrade.net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/Final_FLO_Governance_Structure.jpg. Accessed 2 Jul 2008.
- Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). 2008a. FLO standards committee members. http://www.fairtrade.net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/Nov08_SC_Members_public.pdf. Accessed 28 Dec 2008.
- Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). 2008b. Product standards for hired labour. http://www.fairtrade.net/hlabour.html. Accessed 11 Jan 2009.
- Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). 2008c. FLO 2007 annual report: An inspiration for change. Bonn, Germany: Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International.Google Scholar
- Fantle, W. 2008. Cornucopia Institute’s complaints expose outlaw factory farms. Cooperative Grocer 134. http://www.cooperativegrocer.coop/articles/index.php?id=771. Accessed 17 Aug 2008.
- Fiser, J. 2007. Denial of certifying agent’s right to appeal upheld. The National Agricultural Law Center, Sept 27. http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/cases/mici2.html. Accessed 17 June 2008.
- Food and Drink Weekly. 2003. OTA launches campaign to roll back ‘redefinition’ of organic. March 17. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/OTA+launches+campaign+to+roll+back+redefinition+of+%22organic%22-a098945365. Accessed 19 Apr 2008.
- Fromartz, S. 2006. Organic, Inc.: Natural foods and how they grew. Orlando, FL: Harcourt.Google Scholar
- Gamson, H. 1968. Power and discontent. Homewood, IL: Dorsey Press.Google Scholar
- Gamson, H. 1975. The strategy of social protest. Homewood, IL: Dorsey Press.Google Scholar
- Goigoi, P. 2008. Is fair trade becoming ‘fair trade lite’? Business Week, 18 June. http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2008/db20080617_775861.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily. Accessed 11 Mar 2009
- Goodman, D., and M. Goodman. 2007. Localism, livelihoods and the ‘post-organic’: Changing perspectives on alternative food networks in the United States. In Alternative food geographies: Representation and practice, ed. D. Maye, L. Holloway, and M. Kneafsey, 23–28. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science.Google Scholar
- Guthman, J. 2004a. Agrarian dreams: The paradox of organic farming in California. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Habermas, J. 1985. The theory of communicative action, Volume 2. Lifeworld and system: A critique of functionalist reason. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Hatamiya, L.S. 1997. Proposed organic standards. Informational memorandum for the deputy secretary, USDA, 1 May. http://www.motherjones.com/news/outfront/1998/05/usda_doc1.html. Accessed 16 Nov 2008.
- Heilbroner, R.L. 1986. The nature and logic of capitalism. New York, NY: W.W. Norton and Company.Google Scholar
- Howard, P.H. 2009. Consolidation in the North American organic food processing sector, 1997 to 2007. International Journal of Sociology of Food and Agriculture 16 (1): 13–30.Google Scholar
- Ikerd, J. 1999. Organic agriculture faces the specialization of production systems; specialized systems and the economical stakes. Paper presented at Colloques de l’INRA, Lyon, France, 6–9 Dec. http://web.missouri.edu/ikerdj/papers/france.html. Accessed 3 Sept 2007.
- Jaffee, D. 2007. Brewing justice: Fair trade coffee, sustainability, and survival. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Kavilanz, P.B. 2008. The high price of going ‘organic’. CNNMoney, 23 Apr. http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/23/news/companies/organics_backlash/index.htm?postversion=2008042314. Accessed 29 June 2008.
- Lavigne, P. 2006. Is organic food the real deal? The Dallas Morning News, Jul 17. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/071606dnccoorganics.19c550e.html. Accessed 2 June 2008.
- Lyson, T.A., G.W. Stevenson, and R. Welsh, eds. 2008. Food and the mid-level farm: Renewing an agriculture of the middle. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- McKinney, M. 2007. Was Target’s organic milk just regular? Minneapolis Star Tribune, September 29. http://www.startribune.com/business/11225536.html. Accessed 23 Apr 2008.
- Myers, S. 2008. The organic factor: Does organic certification equate to better quality production? Natural Products Insider, January 2. http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/2008/01/the-organic-factor.aspx. Accessed 10 Feb 2008.
- Ness, C. 2004. Organic food fight: Outcry over rule changes that allow more pesticides, hormones. San Francisco Chronicle 22 May: A-1.Google Scholar
- Novak, C. 2008. Can Wal-Mart do ‘local’? The retail giant is using in-state farmers in an attempt to soften its image. U.S. News and World Report 24 July. http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/economy/2008/07/24/can-wal-mart-do-local.html. Accessed 28 Dec 2008.
- Organic Foods Production Act of 1990. Public Law 701-624: 1990; Title 21, U.S. 1990 Farm Bill.Google Scholar
- Organic Trade Association (OTA). 2006. The Organic Trade Association 2006 manufacturer survey overview. http://www.ota.com/pics/documents/short%20overview%20MMS.pdf. Accessed 2 June 2008.
- Organic Trade Association (OTA). 2007. The Organic Trade Association 2007 manufacturer survey overview. http://www.ota.com/pics/documents/2007ExecutiveSummary.pdf. Accessed 28 June 2008.
- Pollan, M. 2006. The omnivore’s dilemma: A natural history of four meals. New York, NY: Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- Ransom, E. 2007. The rise of agricultural animal welfare standards as understood through a neo-institutional lens. International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food (Special Volume).Google Scholar
- Raynolds, L.T., and J. Wilkinson. 2007. Fair trade in the agriculture and food sector: Analytical dimensions. In Fair trade: The challenges of confronting globalization, ed. L.T. Raynolds, D. Murray, and J. Wilkinson, 33–47. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Renard, M.-C., and V. Perezgrovas. 2007. Fair trade coffee in Mexico: At the center of the debates. In Fair trade: The challenges of confronting globalization, ed. L.T. Raynolds, D. Murray, and J. Wilkinson, 138–156. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Revkin, A. 2004. The burning season: The murder of Chico Mendes and the fight for the Amazon. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Rogers, T. 2004. Small coffee brewers try to redefine fair trade. Christian Science Monitor, April 13. http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0413/p01s02-woam.html. Accessed 5 June 2008.
- Scowcroft, B. 2006. The organic conversation begins anew (again). Greenmoney Journal 15 (2). http://www.greenmoneyjournal.com/article.mpl?newsletterid=39&articleid=505. Accessed 23 Mar 2008.
- Selznick, P. 1949 (1966). TVA and the grass roots. New York, NY: Harper.Google Scholar
- Tucker, A. 2006. Fair enough? New Internationalist (395): 7.Google Scholar
- Wal-Mart. 2006. Illinois’ Frey farms teams with Wal-Mart to celebrate America’s farmers (press release). 27 Sept. http://walmartstores.com/FactsNews/NewsRoom/5985.aspx. Accessed 28 Dec 2008.
- Wilson, S.J. 2007. Nonorganic ingredients get tentative OK. Los Angeles Times 23 June. http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun/23/business/fi-organic23. Accessed 2 June 2008.
- Wolcott, J. 2002. An end to organic confusion? The Christian Science Monitor 16 Oct. http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1016/p15s02-lifo.html. Accessed 2 June 2008.