Getting the message across: does the use of drama aid education in palliative care?
Drama is a promising means of delivering educational messages in palliative care. Research studies have found drama to be an effective means of delivering educational messages in other domains of learning, such as teaching health education to children and adults and engaging the general public in health policy development. This paper discusses the potential of drama for palliative care education and provides an example of the use of a drama to deliver messages about death and dying at a conference on palliative care. The paper suggests a theoretical framework for how future drama productions could be developed to educate the community, health professionals and students about palliative care.
KeywordsCommunity Drama Education Health professionals Palliative care
The authors are grateful to playwrights Alan Hopgood and Molly Carlile, for permission to publish information about their play and for their feedback on the paper.
- Baldwin, A. (2009). Applied theatre: Performing the future. Australasian Psychiatry, 17(Suppl 1), 5133–5136.Google Scholar
- Boreham, C., Robson, P. J., Gallagher, A. M., Cran, G. W., Savage, J. M., & Murray, L. J. (2004). Tracking of physical activity, fitness, body composition and diet from adolescence to young adulthood: The Young Hearts Project, Northern Ireland. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 1(14). Retrieved June 28, 2005 from http://www.ijbnpa.org/articles/browse.asp.
- Gaskell, I., & Taylor, R. (2002). Getting the message: Measuring audience response to theatre for development. Applied Theatre Researcher, 5(2). Retrieved July 12, 2008 from www.griffith.edu.au/centre/cpci/atr/journal/volume5_article2.htm.
- Glanz, K., Rimer, B. K., & Lewis, F. M. (Eds.). (2002). Health behavior and health education: Theory, research and practice (3rd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Josey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Hopgood, A. (2008). Four funerals in one day. Retrieved July 12, 2008 from http://www.healthplay.com.au/.