Adsorption of arsenic on iron modified attapulgite (Fe/ATP): surface complexation model and DFT studies
- 37 Downloads
The adsorption behaviors of arsenic As(V) on the iron modified attapulgite (Fe/ATP) were studied. Two types of Fe/ATP nanoparticles, including Fe(III)/ATP and Fe(II,III)/ATP were prepared by ultrasonic co-precipitation method and characterized using SEM, XRD, XPS, FT-IR and zeta potential analyses. The adsorption isotherms of As(V) on Fe/ATP were well fitted by Freundlich model. The adsorption kinetics data were followed by the pseudo-second-order model with the pseud-second-order rate constant (k, min−1) of − 0.033 for Fe(III)/ATP and − 0.037 for Fe(II,III)/ATP, respectively. Adsorption capacities of Fe/ATP were 5–6 times higher than ATP (5.2 mg g‒1). The Fe–O(H) groups on Fe/ATP contributed to the strong interaction for As(V), confirmed with FT-IR and XPS analyses. The higher adsorption capacity of Fe(III)/ATP than that of Fe(II,III)/ATP was attributed to more surface hydroxyl groups on Fe(III)/ATP. Surface complexation models and density functional theory calculations demonstrated that As(V) sorption on Fe/ATP was by virtue of the formation of monodentate complexes.
KeywordsArsenic Iron modified attapulgite Adsorption Surface complexation model
The work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41671311), the Project of 356 Innovative and Interdisciplinary Team of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (No. 0118261077), the Key Project in the National Science & Technology Pillar Program during the Twelfth Five-year Plan Period (No. 2015BAB01B04), and Hubei Chenguang Talented Youth Development Foundation. The authors would like to thank the Analytical and Testing Center, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, for the kind help on sample characterization.
- Angele Ngantcha-Kwimi, T., Reed, B.E.: As(V) and PO4 removal by an iron-impregnated activated carbon in a single and binary adsorbate system: experimental and surface complexation modeling results. J. Environ. Eng. 142(1), 04015046 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ee.1943-7870.0000989 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Biswas, A., Gustafsson, J.P., Neidhardt, H., Halder, D., Kundu, A.K., Chatterjee, D., Berner, Z., Bhattacharya, P.: Role of competing ions in the mobilization of arsenic in groundwater of Bengal Basin: insight from surface complexation modeling. Water Res. 55, 30–39 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2014.02.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fernández, A.M., Sánchez-Ledesma, D.M., Gutiérrez-Nebot, L., Martínez, J.J., Romero, C., Labajo, M., Melón, A., Barrios, I.: Comprehensive characterization of palygorskite from Torrejón el Rubio (Spain) based on experimental techniques and theoretical DFT studies In: Centro de Investigaciones Energeticas Medioambientales y Tecnologicas (CIEMAT). (2014). http://documenta.ciemat.es/handle/123456789/101
- Hidalgo, K.T.S., Blas, R.G., Quiles, E.O.O., Fachini, E.R., Garcia, J.C., Larios, E., Zayas, B., Yacaman, M.J., Cabrera, C.R.: Highly organized nanofiber formation from zero valent iron nanoparticles after cadmium water remediation. RSC Adv. 5, 2777–2784 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1039/C4RA13267J CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Luo, J., Luo, X., Crittenden, J., Qu, J., Bai, Y., Peng, Y., Li, J.: Removal of antimonite (Sb(III)) and antimonate (Sb(V)) from aqueous solution using carbon nanofibers that are decorated with zirconium oxide (ZrO2). Environ. Sci. Technol. 49(18), 11115–11124 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.5b02903 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Luo, J., Luo, X., Hu, C., Crittenden, J.C., Qu, J.: Zirconia (ZrO2) embedded in carbon nanowires via electrospinning for efficient arsenic removal from water combined with DFT studies. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 8(29), 18912–18921 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b06046 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ungureanu, G., Santos, S., Boaventura, R., Botelho, C.: Arsenic and antimony in water and wastewater: overview of removal techniques with special reference to latest advances in adsorption. J. Environ. Manag. 151(19), 326–342 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.12.051 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, W.P., Xu, H.B., Wang, J., Wang, J., Wang, B.B.: Removal of As (V) from drinking water by attapulgite loaded with Fe(III) adsorbent. Adv. Mater. Res. (2013). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.750-752.1452 Google Scholar