Kinetics of protein adsorption by nanoporous carbons with different pore size
- 361 Downloads
Kinetics of bovine serum albumin and ovalbumin adsorption by nanoporous carbons with different main pore sizes (1.6, 5, 7.8 and 28 nm) was studied. Experimental kinetics curves were well described by multi-exponential equation with different number of exponents (from 1 to 4). Protein adsorption kinetics showed significant dependence on pore size of carbonaceous adsorbent. Correlation between pore size distribution and amount of protein adsorbed revealed threshold pore size 7.3 nm for BSA and 6.8 nm for OVA, which are close to hydrodynamic diameter of protein molecules. The fastest and the highest adsorption of proteins were observed in carbons having developed porosity with pore sizes larger than 15 nm.
KeywordsTemplated carbons Protein adsorption Kinetics of adsorption Porous structure Pore size threshold
The research leading to these results has received funding from the People Programme (Marie Curie Actions) of the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme FP7/2007-2013/under REA grant agreement n° PIRSES-GA-2013-612484 and from National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (projects 0110U001330 and 0110U004545).
- Crank, J.: Mathematics of Diffusion. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1975)Google Scholar
- Dean, J.A. (ed.) Lange’s Handbook of Chemistry. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York (1999)Google Scholar
- Hu, C., Sedghi, S., Madani, S.H., Silvestre-Albero, A., Sakamoto, H., Kwong, P., Pendleton, P., Smernik, R.J., Rodríguez-Reinoso, F., Kaneko, K., Biggs, M.J.: Control of the pore size distribution and its spatial homogeneity in particulate activated carbon. Carbon 78, 113–120 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hu, C., Smillie, L.A., Liu, A.C.Y., Weyland, M., Hadi Madani, S., Pendleton, P., Rodríguez-Reinoso, F., Kaneko, K., Biggs, M.J.: A multi-method study of the transformation of the carbonaceous skeleton of a polymer-based nanoporous carbon along the activation pathway. Carbon 85, 119–134 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marczewski, A.W.: Kinetics and equilibrium of adsorption of dissociating solutes from aqueous solutions on mesoporous carbons. Pol. J. Chem. 82, 271–281 (2008)Google Scholar
- Rouquerol, J., Llewellyn, P., Rouquerol, F.: Is the BET equation applicable to microporous adsorbents? In: Llewellyn, P.L., Rodriquez-Reinoso, F., Rouqerol, J., Seaton, N. (eds.) Characterization of Porous Solids VII, pp. 49–56. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2007)Google Scholar
- Su, F., Zhou, Z., Guo, W., Liu, J., Tian, X.N., Zhao, X.S.: Template approaches to preparing porous carbon. In: Radovic, L.R. (ed.) Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, pp. 63–128. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton (2008)Google Scholar
- Weber, W.J., Morris, J.C.: Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution. J. Sanit. Eng. Div. 89, 31–60 (1963)Google Scholar