Adsorption of dyes on carbon xerogels and templated carbons: influence of surface chemistry
- 507 Downloads
The removal of textile dyes by adsorption onto carbon materials with extended mesoporosity is addressed in the present work. Two types of high surface area carbon adsorbents were prepared, namely a carbon xerogel and a templated carbon. Both materials were subsequently subjected to appropriate treatments in order to modify their surface chemistries, while keeping their textural properties relatively unchanged. The carbon adsorbents were extensively characterized by different techniques in order to correlate their adsorption performances with the corresponding surface properties. The behavior of the different materials was evaluated by determining equilibrium adsorption isotherms of two anionic dyes (Reactive Red 241 and Acid Blue 113) at different pH values. The results are compared with data previously obtained with commercial activated carbons subjected to the same treatments, and discussed in terms of the carbon surface chemistry and the interaction between the dye molecules and the adsorbent surface (dispersive and electrostatic interactions).
KeywordsAdsorption Templated carbons Carbon xerogels Surface chemistry Dyes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Graham, N., Chen, X.G., Jayaseelan, S.: The potential application of activated carbon from sewage sludge to organic dyes removal. Water Sci. Technol. 43, 245–252 (2001) Google Scholar
- Leon y Leon, C.A., Radovic, L.R.: Interfacial chemistry and electrochemistry of carbon surfaces. In: Thrower, P.A. (ed.) Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, vol. 24, pp. 213–310. Dekker, New York (1994) Google Scholar
- Marmagne, O., Coste, C.: Color removal from textile plant effluents. Am. Dyest. Report. 85, 15–21 (1996) Google Scholar
- Radovic, L.R., Rodríguez-Reinoso, F.: Carbon materials in catalysis. In: Thrower, P.A. (ed.) Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, vol. 25, pp. 243–358. Dekker, New York (1997) Google Scholar
- Radovic, L.R., Moreno-Castilla, C., Rivera-Utrilla, J.: Carbon materials as adsorbents in aqueous solutions. In: Radovic, L.R. (ed.) Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, vol. 27, pp. 227–405. Dekker, New York (2001) Google Scholar