Effect of temperature, particle size and percentage deacetylation on the adsorption of acid dyes on chitosan
- 528 Downloads
The adsorption of five acidic dyes on chitosan—a by-product from waste crustacean shell—has been studied. The equilibrium data have been studied using Langmuir, Freundlich and Redlich-Peterson equations. The best correlations are obtained using the Langmuir isotherm suggesting the mechanism involves one process step of dyes complexing with the free amino group. The effect of chitosan particle size was investigated and showed an increase in adsorption capacity with decreasing particle size indicating that the available external surface was an important factor. Increasing solution temperature resulted in an increase in adsorption capacity indicating an exothermic process with a negative ΔH. Finally, the effect of varying the percentage degree of deacetylation showed that from 52% to 97% resulted in decrease in the dye adsorption capacity suggesting that more amorphisation may cause changes in the internal structure of chitosan and reduce the capacity.
KeywordsAcid dyes Chitosan Equilibrium Temperature Particle size Deacetylation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annadurai, G., Krishnan, M.R.V.: Batch equilibrium adsorption of reactive dye onto natural biopolymer. Iran. Polym. J. 6, 169–175 (1997) Google Scholar
- Annadurai, G., Chellapandian, M., Krishnan, M.R.V.: Adsorption of basic dye from aqueous solution by chitosan. Ind. J. Environ. Prot. 17, 95–98 (1997) Google Scholar
- Freundlich, H.M.F.: Over the adsorption in solution. Z. Phys. Chem. 57, 385–470 (1906) Google Scholar
- Marc, S.R.: Asian textile dye makers are a growing power in changing market. C&EN Northeast News Bureau 73, 10–12 (1996) Google Scholar
- McKay, G.: Use of Adsorbents for the Removal of Pollutants from Wastewaters. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1995) Google Scholar
- Ravi Kumar, M.N.V., Rajakala Sridhari, T., Durga Bhavani, K., Pradip Kumar, Dutta: Trends in color removal from textile mill effluents. Colourage, 25–34 (1998) Google Scholar
- Smith, B., Koonce, T., Hudson, S.: Decolorizing Dye Wastewater Using Chitosan. Am. Dyestuff Rep. Oct., 18–36 (1993) Google Scholar
- Venkatrao, B., Baradarajan, A., Sastry, C.A.: Chitosan as a tool for the purification of waters. Adsorption of dyestuffs on chitosan. In: Muzzarelli, R.A.A., Jeuniaux, C., Gooday, G.W. (eds.) Proc. Int. Conf. Chitin Chitosan, pp. 554–559. Plenum, New York (1986) Google Scholar
- Yoshida, H., Fukuda, S., Okamoto, A., Kataoka, T.: Recovery of direct dye and acid dye by adsorption on chitosan fiber—equilibria. Water Sci. Technol. 31, 1667–1676 (1991) Google Scholar