Towards a New Profession: Counselor Professional Identity in Italy. A Delphi Study
Counseling is a profession that began only recently in Italy, when compared to other mental health related professions. A lack of consensus on professional counselor identity seems to represent a limiting factor in the growth of the profession, since it negatively impacts on its efficacy and it can lead to counselors being confused with other mental health professionals. Because of this, the future establishment of the counseling profession in Italy is closely linked to acquiring a stronger and clearer sense of professional identity. The purpose of this Delphi study was to identify a list of essential elements characterizing counselor professional identity through the opinions of a panel of Italian expert counselors who represent diverse perspectives, and to advocate for professional regulation and certification for Italian counselors.
KeywordsCounselors’ professional identity Delphi Italy Internationalization
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declared that they have no conflict of interest.
- AltraPsicologia. (2010, October 10). La triste storia del counselor che voleva fare il terapeuta [The sad story of the counselor that wanted to be a therapist]. Retrieved February 18, 2017, from http://www.altrapsicologia.it/articoli/la-triste-storia-del-counselor-che-voleva-fare-il-terapeuta/controllare APA.
- Alvarez, C.M., & Lee, S. (2012). An international perspective on professional counselor identity. Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory & Research, 39(1), 42–54. Retrieved March 16, 2016, from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eue&AN=86160017&site=ehost-live.
- AssoCounseling. (2015, November 15) Il TAR Lazio accoglie il ricorso presentato dal CNOP [The Lazio regional administrative court grants the appeal lodged by the CNOP]. Retrieved March 22, 2017, from http://www.assocounseling.it/approfondimenti/articolo.asp?cod=1118.
- AssoCounseling. (2016, April 4). La “carta di Assago” [The Assago chart]. Retrieved March 22, 2017, from http://www.assocounseling.it/approfondimenti/articolo.asp?cod=1145.
- AssoCounseling. (2018, April 14). Verso la regolamentazione [Towards regulation]. Retrieved June 18, 2017, from http://www.assocounselingconference.it/convegno-2018/.
- AssoCounseling. (2019, January 23). Il consiglio di Stato annulla la sentenza del TAR Lazio: premiata la linea di AssoCounseling. [The Council of State cancels the sentence of the Lazio Regional Administrative Court: the AssoCounseling line has been awarded]. Retrieved January 26, 2019, from https://www.assocounseling.it/approfondimenti/articolo.asp?cod=1296&cat=NEWS&titlenav=News.
- Bellani, M. L. (2007). Il significato dell’intervento di counseling per l’operatore sanitario e psico-sociale italiano [The meaning of counseling intervention for Italian health and psico-social operators]. Rapporti Itisan, 10(47), 7–15. Retrieved January 22, 2017, from http://www.iss.it/binary/publ/cont/dieci47web.pdf.
- Bellotti, G. G., & Bellani, M. L. (1997). Il counseling nell’infezione da HIV e nell’Aids. (Counselling in HIV infection and AIDS). Milano, Italia: McGraw-Hill Libri.Google Scholar
- Bisazza, B. (2013, Febbrary 4). Per i «senza Albo» corsa al bollino di qualità. [For whom is “without professional guild” ‘race to the quality stamp] Il sole 24ore. Retrieved April 4, 2017, from http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/notizie/2013-08-19/professionisti-bollino-063949.shtml?uuid=Ab7E0SOI.
- Brislin, R.W. (1969). Back-translation for cross-cultural research (Order No. 7013803). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (302466037).Google Scholar
- Brislin, R. W., Lonner, W. J., & Thorndike, R. M. (1973). Cross-cultural research methods. New York: J. Wiley.Google Scholar
- Brott, P. E., & Myers, J. E. (1999). Development of professional school counselor identity. Professional School Counseling, 2(5), 339–348.Google Scholar
- Campagnoli, L. (2015). Counseling Familiare e dell’età evolutiva [Family and Early Childhood Counseling]. Rivista Italiana di Counseling, 2(1), 6 Retrieved May 11, 2017, from http://rivistaitalianadicounseling.it/counseling-familiare-e-delleta-evolutiva/.
- Creswell, J.W. (2012). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (3rd ed.). [Kindle DX version]. Retrieved from Amazon.com.
- Dalkey, N., & Helmer, O. (1963). An experimental application of the Delphi method to the use of experts. Journal of the Institute of Management Science, 9, 458–467.Google Scholar
- Delbecq, A. L., Van de Ven, A. H., & Gustafson, D. H. (1975). Group techniques for program planning; A guide to nominal group and Delphi processes. Retrieved June 17, 2017, from https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/avandeven/publications/books/group-techniques-for-program-planning.
- Di Fabio, A. (1999). Counseling: dalla teoria all’applicazione [Counseling: from theory to application.] Roma, Italia: Giunti Editore.Google Scholar
- Di Fabio, A. (2003). Counseling e relazione d’aiuto: linee guida e strumenti per l’autoverifica [Counseling and the helping relationship: Guidelines and tools for a self-evaluation]. Roma, Italia: Giunti Editore.Google Scholar
- Di Fabio, A., & Sirigatti, S. (2013) Counseling. [Kindle DX version]. Retrieved from Amazon.comGoogle Scholar
- Di Francesco, G., Ruffini, C., & Sarchielli, V. (2006). Consulenza alla persona e Counseling: Ambiti di intervento, Approcci, Ruolo e Competenze del Counselor [Personal consulting and counseling: Intervention areas, role and competencies of a counselor]. Roma, Italia: ISFOL. Retrieved March 11, 2017, from http://www.jobtel.it/JobCompass/Multimedia_web/Documenti/Isfol_Consulenza.pdf.
- Emerson, C. H. (2010). Counselor professional identity: Construction and validation of the Counselor Professional Identity Measure. Retrieved from ProQuest Digital Dissertations (UMI No. 3403686). Retrieved December 12, 2016, from http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/emerson_uncg_0154d_10396.pdf.
- Fani, L. (2014). Identità e Cultura [Identity and culture]. Rivista Italiana di Counseling, 1(1), 4–5 Retrieved May 16, 2017, from http://rivistaitalianadicounseling.it/identita-e-cultura/.
- Federcounseling. (2015, December 22). Sentenza 13,020/2015 – Cosa dicono le associazioni. [Judgment 13,020/2015 - What the associations say]. Retrieved Febbrauary 6, 2017, from http://www.federcounseling.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Sentenza-del-TAR-Lazio-comunicato-congiunto.pdf.
- Fulcheri, M., & Accomazzo, R. (1999). Il counseling: Un Giano bifronte [Counseling: A two-faced Janus]. Rivista di Psicologia Individuale, 45, 57–84. Retrieved November 5, 2016, from http://www.sipi-adler.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/045_Mario-Fulcheri_Rossana-Accomazzo_ITA.pdf.
- Gale, A. U., & Austin, B. D. (2003). Professionalism’s challenges to professional counselors’ collective identity. Journal of Counseling & Development., 81(1), 3–10. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2003.tb00219.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garland, R. (1991). The mid-point on a rating scale: Is it desirable? Marketing Bulletin, 2, 66–70.Google Scholar
- Gazzetta Ufficiale. (1991). Legge n 135 5 Giugno 1990, Piano degli interventi urgenti in materia di prevenzione e lotta all’ AIDS [Plan for urgent interventions on the topic of preventing and fighting AIDS]. Retrieved November 15, 2016, from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/population/aids/italy.aids.90.pdf.
- Gazzetta Ufficiale. (2013). Legge n. 4.14 Gennaio 2013. Disposizioni in materia di professioni organizzate [Provisions on the topic of unregulated professions s]. Retrieved May 25, 2017, from https://www.cliclavoro.gov.it/Normative/Legge_14_gennaio_2013_n.4.pdf.
- Giusti, E., & Spalletta, E. (2012). Psicoterapia e counseling. Comunanze e differenze. [Psychotherapy and counseling. Similarities and differences]. Roma, Italia: Sovera Edizioni.Google Scholar
- Habibi, A., Sarafrazi, A., & Izadyar, S. (2014). Delphi technique theoretical framework in qualitative. The International Journal of Engineering and Science, 3(4), 8–13 Retrieved November 21, 2016, from http://staff.estem-uc.edu.au/taipham/files/2013/01/delphi-method-theoretical-frame-work-in-qualitative-research.pdf.
- Hallowell, M. R., & Gambatese, J. A. (2010). Qualitative research: Application of the Delphi method to CEM research. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 136(1), 99–107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000137.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hasson, F., Keeney, S., & McKenna, H. (2000). Research guidelines for the Delphi survey technique. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 32(4), 1008–1015. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.t01-1-01567.x.Google Scholar
- Hays, D. G., & Singh, A. A. (2012). Qualitative inquiry in clinical and educational settings. New York: Guilford Publications.Google Scholar
- Healey, A. C., & Hays, D. G. (2011). Defining counseling professional identity from a gendered perspective: Role conflict and development. Professional Issues in Counseling Journal. Retrieved April 5, 2016, from http://www.shsu.edu/~piic/DefiningCounselingProfessionalIdentityfromaGenderedPerspective.htm.
- Hohenshil, T. H., Amundson, N. E., & Niles, S. G. (2015). Counseling around the world: An international handbook. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Hough, M. (1999). Abilità di counseling: manuale per la prima formazione. Trento: Edizioni Erickson.Google Scholar
- Hsu, C. C., & Sandford, B. A. (2007). The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 12(10), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Iqbal, S., & Pippon-Young, L. (2009). The Delphi method. Nursing Research, 46(2), 116–118.Google Scholar
- Ivey, A. E., Ivey, M. B., Zalaquett, C. P., & Quirk, K. (2012). Essentials of intentional interviewing: Counseling in a multicultural world. Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. M., & Gladding, S. T. (2011). A vision for the future of counseling: The 20/20 principles for unifying and strengthening the profession. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89(3), 367–372. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2011.tb00101.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Likert, R. (1932). A technique for the measurement of attitudes. Archives of Psychology, 140, 1–55.Google Scholar
- Linstone, H. A., & Turoff, M. (Eds). (2002). The Delphi method: Techniques and application. Retrieved June 26, 2016, from http://inei.org.br/inovateca/estudos-e-pesquisas-em-inovacao/delphibook.pdf/at_download/file.
- McAuliffe, G. (2005). The evolution of professional competence. In Handbook of adult development and learning (pp. 476–496). New York: Oxford Univeristy Press.Google Scholar
- Moorhouse, M. (2008). Identifying benchmark competency criteria for a rehabilitation counseling clinical supervision instrument: A Delphi study. (Ph.D. dissertation. University of Florida, United States – Florida). Retrieved April 1, 2016, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text. (Publication No. AAT 3334490).Google Scholar
- Mucchielli, R. (2016). Apprendere il counseling: Manuale di autoformazione al colloquio di aiuto. Edizioni Centro Studi Erickson.Google Scholar
- Nassar-McMillan, S., & Niles, S. (2010). Developing your identity as a professional counselor: Standards, settings, and specialties. Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Neuer, A.A. (2011). Supervision competencies for counselor education doctoral graduates: A Delphi study (Order No. 3462952). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (880578788).Google Scholar
- Neukrug, E. (2015). The world of the counselor: An introduction to the counseling profession (5th ed). Brooks/Cole: Pacific Grove.Google Scholar
- Patton, M. Q. (2015). Qualitative research & evaluation methods: Integrating theory and practice (4th ed.). [Kindle DX version]. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from Amazon.com.
- Perussia, F. (2007). Cum sol: Immagini del counselor [Cum sol: Images of the Counselor]. Giornale di Psicologia 1(1), 42–58. Retrieved March 2, 2016, from http://www.antonelloviola.com/GiornaleDiPsicologia.2007.1.1.pdf.
- Pistole, M. C., & Roberts, A. (2002). Mental health counseling: Toward resolving identity confusions. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 24(1), 1–19.Google Scholar
- Prepos (2009, Febbruary,14). Presentazione dei risultati della ricerca nazionale sulla Professione di Counselor [Presentation of results of national research on the profession of Counselor]. Retrieved July 15, 2016, from http://www.prepos.it/prima%20ricerca%20nazionaleProfessioneCouns.pdf.
- Professione [Profession] (n.d.). In Treccani vocabolario on line. Treccani, la cutlura italiana. Retrieved January 12, 2017, from http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/professione/.
- Puglia, B. (2008). The professional identity of counseling students in master’s level CACREP accredited programs. Retrieved April 25, 2015, fromhttp://proxy.lib.odu.edu/login?url=http://searchproquest.com/docview/304412126?accountid=12967.
- Remley, T. (2013). (2013, March, 10). Il riconoscimento della professione di counseling secondo il governo degli Stati Uniti dd’America. [The recognition of the counseling profession according to the Government of the United States of America.] Retrieved March 22, 2016 ,from http://www.assocounseling.it/approfondimenti/articolo.asp?cod=872&cat=APPO.
- Remley, T., & Herlihy, B. (2007). Ethical, legal, and professional issues in counseling. Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Remley, T., Mariotti, D., & Valleri, T. (2015). Counseling in Italy. In T.H. Hohenshill (Ed), N.E. Amundson (Ed), S.G. Niles (Ed), Counseling around the world: An international handbook (pp. 233–242). New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Runyan, H.I. (2012). Classroom management competencies for school counselors: A Delphi study. Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations Publishing. (3531595).Google Scholar
- Shallcross, L. (2012). What the future holds for the counseling profession. Counseling Today, 59(9), 32–44. Google Scholar
- Shallcross, L. (2013). Unmistaken identity. Counseling Today, 55(9), 28–37 Retrieved from www.counseling.org/docs/counseling-today-archives/march-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=6.Google Scholar
- Soresi, S. (2013). Aiutare le persone a costruire il loro futuro. [Helping people build their future]. Unpublished Paper presented at “Life designing and career Counseling: building hope and resilience” the International Conference of University of Padova. Padova, 2016 20th, 21 th, 22 ndJune. Retrieved May 5, 2017, from http://larios.psy.unipd.it/conference2013/docs/Preatti.pdf.
- Trentin, P. (2013). La Legge 4/2013, la professione del counsellor e le sfide del prossimo futuro [Law 4/2013, the counselling profession and its challenges in the near future]. Grounding - La Rivista Italiana Di Analisi Bioenergetica, 2, 109–119. https://doi.org/10.3280/GRO2013-002007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Upton, A. W. (2012). Essential components of school counselor professional identity: A Delphi study (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved February 11, 2015, from ProQuest Digital Dissertation 1,152,028,445. Retrieved from http://proxy.lib.odu.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1152028445?accountid=12967.
- Valleri, T. (2017). (2017, February, 2). Consensus Conference sul Counseling. [Consensus Conference on Counseling] Retrieved June 4, 2017, from http://www.federcounseling.it/consensus-conference-sul-counseling/.
- Van de Vijver, F. J. R. (2001). The evolution of cross-cultural research methods. The handbook of culture and psychology, 77–97.Google Scholar
- Viano, R., & Verga, V. (2007). L’immagine del Counseling secondo gli utenti potenziali. (The image of the Counseling according to potential users). Giornale Di Psicologia, 1(1), 74–85.Google Scholar
- Viano, R., Boveri, R., & Civillotti, C. (2007). L’immagine del Counseling secondo gli operatori (The image of the Counseling according to operators). Giornale Di Psicologia, 1(1), (59–65). Retrieved May 15, 2017, from http://www.antonelloviola.com/GiornaleDiPsicologia.2007.1.1.pdf.
- Wester, K.L., & Borders, L.D. (2014). Research competencies in counseling: A Delphi study. Journal of Counseling and Development, 92(4), 447–458. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.15566676.2014.00171.x.
- Woo, H. R. (2013). Instrument construction and initial validation: Professional identity scale in counseling (PISC). Retrieved August 22, 2015, from ProQuest LLC. Retrieved from http://proxy.lib.odu.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=ED554383&site=eds-live&scope=site.