Psychometric Validation of a Turkish Version of the Inventory of Common Problems: a Tool for Turkish College Counselors
- 128 Downloads
Transition from high school to college can be very challenging for Turkish students, and poor adjustment can affect students’ physical and mental health and well-being. It is important for college counseling center staff in Turkey to have access to screening instruments to identify students with high risk for college life adjustment difficulties. The purpose of this study was to validate a Turkish version of the Inventory of Common Problems (ICP; Hoffman and Weiss 1986) for Turkish college students. Two hundreds and thirty-five Turkish university students participated in this study. Factorial structure of the ICP was evaluated using exploratory factor analysis, resulting in a four-factor structure with the internal consistency reliability coefficients for all factors being excellent to average: (a) emotional problems (Cronbach’s α = .90), (b) academic problems (α = .80), (c) substance use problems (α = .77), and (d) physical health problems (α = .73). The emotional problems factor, academic problems factor, and physical health problems factor were significantly associated with perceived stress, depression, and anxiety in the expected direction, as measured by the Perceived Stress Scale (PSS-10; Cohen and Williamson 1988), Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9; Kroenke et al. 2001) and General Anxiety Disorder (GAD-7) Scale (Spitzer et al. 2006). This study demonstrated that the Turkish version of the ICP could be regarded as a reliable, valid and multidimensional measure, valuable to counseling and health services professionals in Turkey as well as for Turkish international students studying aboard.
KeywordsTurkish college students College life adjustment Screening instruments
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declared that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bartlett, M. S. (1950). Test of significance in factor analysis. British Journal of Psychology, 3, 77–85.Google Scholar
- Cohen, S., & Williamson, G. M. (1988). Perceived stress in a probability sample of the United States. In S. Spacapan & S. Oskamp (Eds.), The social psychology of health (pp. 31–67). Newbury Park: Sage.Google Scholar
- Erkan, S., Cankaya, Z. C., Terzi, Ş., & Özbay, Y. (2011). Üniversite psikolojik danışma ve rehberlik merkezlerinin incelenmesi. Mehmet Akif Ersoy Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 1(22), 174–198.Google Scholar
- Erkan, S., Özbay, Y., Çankaya, Z. C., & Terzi, S. (2012). University students' problem areas and psychological help-seeking willingness. Egitim ve Bilim, 37(164), 94.Google Scholar
- Kaya, C., Tansey, T., Chan, F., Bezyak, J., Melekoglu, M., Cakiroglu, O., & Kose, S. (2015). Dimensionality of the Turkish version of the self -stigma of seeking help scale: results from exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. International Journal for the Advancement of Counseling, 37, 105–116.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nania, K. M. L. (1993). Analysis of the inventory of common problems. (Order No. 9320872, The University of Wisconsin - Madison). ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 162–162 p. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/docview/304046437?accountid=465. (304046437).
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (2014). College drinking. Retrieved from https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/collegefactsheet/Collegefactsheet.pdf.
- Novotney, A. (2014). Students under pressure. Monitor on Psychology. Retrieved from http://drsaadiamcleod.com/psych326/students-under-pressure.pdf.
- Nunnally, J. C., & Bernstein, I. H. (1994). Psychometric theory (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Ölçme, Seçme Ve Yerleştirme Merkezi. (2012). Summary table of numbers of students [Data file]. Retrieved from http://www.osym.gov.tr/dosya/1-60395/h/1ogrencisayozettablosu.pdf. Accessed in 2016
- Ölçme, Seçme Ve Yerleştirme Merkezi. (2013). Summary table of numbers of students [Data file]. Retrieved from http://www.osym.gov.tr/dosya/1-69398/h/1ogrencisayozettablosu.pdf. Accessed in 2016
- Özer Öztürk, B., Saya, P., & Türkel, D. (2005) Ankara ilinde bulunan üniversite rehberlik ve psikolojik danismanlik merkezlerinin durum saptama calismasi [A study conducted to identify the current status of university guidance and counseling centers in the city of Ankara]. Paper presented at the 8th National Guidance and Counseling Congress, Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Topkaya, N., & Meydan, B. (2013). University students’ problem areas, sources of help, and intentions to seek psychological help. Trakya Universtiy Journal of Education, 3(1), 25–37.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2017). Process of translation and adaptation of instruments. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/research_tools/translation/en/. Accessed in 2018