An algebraic multigrid method for finite element systems on criss-cross grids
- 74 Downloads
In this paper, we design and analyze an algebraic multigrid method for a condensed finite element system on criss-cross grids and then provide a convergence analysis. Criss-cross grid finite element systems represent a large class of finite element systems that can be reduced to a smaller system by first eliminating certain degrees of freedoms. The algebraic multigrid method that we construct is analogous to many other algebraic multigrid methods for more complicated problems such as unstructured grids, but, because of the specialty of our problem, we are able to provide a rigorous convergence analysis to our algebraic multigrid method.
Keywordsalgebraic multigrid method finite element criss-cross grids convergence analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.N. Arnold and J. Qin, Quadratic velocity/linear pressure stokes element, in: Advances in Computer Methods for Partial Differential Equations, Vol. VII, eds. G. Richter, R. Vichnevetsky and D. Knight (IMACS, 1992). Google Scholar
- I.M. Babuska, FEM-Latest Developments, Open Problems and Perspectives, Internat. Colloquium on Applications of Computer Science and Mathematics in Architecture and Civil Engineering, Weimar, Germany (26 February–1 March, 1997). Google Scholar
- A. Brandt, Multiscale scientific computation, Six year research summary (1999). Google Scholar
- A. Brandt, S.F. McCormick and J.W. Ruge, Algebraic multigrid (AMG) for sparse matrix equations, in: Sparsity and Its Applications, ed. D.J. Evans (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1984). Google Scholar
- F. Brezzi and M. Fortin, Mixed and Hybrid Finite Element Methods (Spinger, New York, 1991). Google Scholar
- T.F. Chan, J. Xu and L. Zikatanov, An agglomeration multigrid method for unstructured grids, in: 10th Internat. Conf. on Domain Decomposition Methods, Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 218 (Birkhäuser, Boston, 1998) pp. 67–81. Google Scholar
- J. Ruge and K. Stüben, Algebraic multigrid, in: Multigrid Methods, ed. S. McCormick (SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1987). Google Scholar
- K. Stüben, A review of algebraic multigrid, GMD Report 69 (1999). Google Scholar