Structural Strength and Laminate Optimization of Composite Connecting Bracket in Manned Spacecraft Using a Genetic Algorithm
- 355 Downloads
This paper presents a novel optimization scheme using a Genetic Algorithm (GA) to design a composite connecting bracket in manned spacecraft especially for the stress concentration of the hinge pedestal. Experimental modal analysis (EMA) as well as a large bending load tests was performed on the bracket to verify the failure mode through their mechanical response. The EMA results showed the best optimization scheme is placing the reinforced sleeve 20 mm from the hinge pedestal. Experimental results were also used to validate the Finite Element Analysis (FEA) approached used to predict the bracket structural response. The method used in this paper can provide some valuable guidance to study other similar composite structures in the future.
KeywordsGenetic algorithm(GA) Optimization Experimental modal analysis (EMA) Finite element analysis (FEA)
The authors are grateful to the support of Shanghai Foundation for University Key Teacher (ZZGCD15039).
- 5.Xiaobing, F., Hai, H., Wang, W.: Strength optimization of large wind turbine blade root on the genetic algorithm. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica. 29, 196–202 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Fei, Y., Weiji, L.: A stacking sequence optimization method of composite laminated panel based on an adaptive genetic algorithm. J. Northwestern Polytechnical Uni. 19, 156–159 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, X., Guo, B.: Optimization of laminated composite plates based on the last-ply failure criterion. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology. 30, 140–143 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Tieliang, Z., Yunliang, D.: Structural layout optimization of composite stiffened panel. Journal of Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautic. 42, 8–12 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Liang, D., Xu, Y., Xinglin, P.: Configuration optimum design of grid-stiffened composite pane. Journal of Solid Rocket Technology. 31, 527–531 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Weihong, Z., Shengdong, Z., Gao, T.: Stiffener layout optimization of thin walled Structure. Acta Aeronautica ET Astronautica Sinica. 30, 2126–2131 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, X., Sun, L., Zhang, C., et al.: Design and optimization of composite automotive hatchback using integrated material-structure-process-performance method[J]. Appl. Compos. Mater. 1–21 (2018)Google Scholar