Comparison between the Classic Sensor Embedding Method and the Monitoring Patch Embedding Method for Composites Instrumentation
- 216 Downloads
In this paper, the classic embedding technique, with bared sensors, and a recent proposal, the monitoring patch, are compared with the aim to improve the composites in-core instrumentation. The monitoring patch emerges with the need to industrialize sensors integration inside composite structures; thus, a complete evaluation of its mechanical performance has to be done. Numerical and experimental campaigns are carried out on elementary carbon-epoxy coupons to evaluate the benefits and disadvantages of this procedure compared with the typical interlayer sensor embedding. The results show that the use of monitoring patch does not affect significantly the mechanical performance of instrumented coupons. An instrumentation transfer function (ITF) is proposed to link the information that electronic devices can detect, the mechanical phenomena around these electronic devices and the measurements data acquired by global or local techniques (DIC, FEM, gauges). A good correlation between the strain data acquired and the strain values calculated by FEM confirms the approach of the ITF to evaluate the influence of the monitoring patch on the measured signal.
KeywordsComposite Embedding Bared sensor Monitoring patch In-core instrumentation
The present work is part of the research project “Multi-sensor Instrumentation for Composite Materials and Structures (I2MC)” financially supported by the Thematic Advanced Research Network for Aeronautic and Space Sciences & Technologies of Toulouse (RTRA STAE). The first author conveys his special appreciation to the National Council of Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) for the financial support.
- 2.Baker,: Structural health monitoring of a bonded composite patch repair on a ratigue-cracked F-111C wing. Air Vehicles Division, Defence Science and Technology Organisation, DSTO-RR-0335, Australian Government (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Mulle, M, Zitoune, R, Collombet, F.: Through-the-thickness material properties identification in a technological specimen using 3D-DIC and embedded FBG measurements. Exp. Mech. 1340–1343 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Mueller, I., Chang, F.K., Roy, S., Mittal, M., Lonkar, K., Larrosa, C.: A robust structural health monitoring technique for airframe structures. Proceedings of the “7th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring” (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Kobayashi, M., Jen, C.K., Bussiere, J.F., Wu, K.T.: High-temperature integrated and flexible ultrasonic transducers for non-destructive testing. NTD & E Int. 42, 157–161 (2009)Google Scholar
- 25.Hansen, J.P., Vizzini, A.J.: Fatigue response of a host structure with interlaced embedded devices. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 11, 902–909 (2000)Google Scholar
- 26.Huang, Y., Nemat-Nasser, S.: Structural integrity of composite laminates with embedded micro-sensors. Sensors Syst. Netw. 65, 1–5 (2002)Google Scholar
- 29.Collombet, F., Grunevald, Y.H., Zitoune, R., Mulle, M.: Economical value added of multi instrumented technological evaluators for the development of composite civil aircraft. Proceedings of the “16th National Journeys on Composites (JNC16)” (2009)Google Scholar
- 30.Collombet, F., Luyckx, G., Sonnenfeld, C., Grunevald, Y.H., Davila, Y., Torres, M., Jacob, X., Wu, K.T., Rodriguez, S., Douchin, B., Crouzeix, L., Bazer-Bachi, R., Geernaert, T., Degrieck, J., Berghmans, F.: Cure monitoring of an autoclave manufactured industrial part: added value of complementary instrumentation. Proceedings of the “19th International Conference on Composite Materials”. 2013.Google Scholar
- 31.Sonnenfeld, C., Luyckx, G., Collombet, F., Grunevald, Y.H., Douchin, B., Crouzeix, L., Torres, M., Geernaert, T., Sulejmani, S., Chah, K., Mergo, P., Thienpont, H., Berghmans, F.: Cure cycle monitoring of laminated carbon fiber-reinforced plastic with fiber Bragg gratings in microstructured optical fiber. Proceedings of the “19th International Conference on Composite Materials” (2013)Google Scholar
- 32.Torres, M., Collombet, F., Douchin, B., Crouzeix, L., Bazer-Bachi, R., Grunevald, Y.-H., Lubin, J., Camps, T., Jacob, X., Rodriguez, S., Wu, K.-T.: Monitoring of the curing process of an industrial composite structure by TJS and FUT, Proceedings of the “35th International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials” (2013)Google Scholar