Entire Life Time Monitoring of Filament Wound Composite Cylinders Using Bragg Grating Sensors: II. Process Monitoring
- 172 Downloads
This article is the second of a series of three papers concerning monitoring of filament wound cylinders using Bragg gratings. In this second part, the tooling presented in Part I is used to embed gratings and thermocouples in filament wound glass reinforced epoxy composite cylinders during fabrication. Bragg grating strain was obtained from wavelength and temperature response, by a calibration technique described here. Results from tests on five cylinders show the Bragg grating’s capability to monitor strain evolution during fabrication, and the capacity to detect several phenomena occurring during cure is established, in addition to quantifying the initial material condition of the cylinder before it enters service.
KeywordsSmart materials Residual stress Non-destructive testing Filament winding
H. Hernández Moreno wishes to thank the National Council of Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) and the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico (IPN) for their scholarship sponsoring. The authors thank Messrs. I. Fernandez Hernandez, J. Bauw, F. Afonso, and E. Vargas Rojas for their collaboration during their internship at ICA.
- 2.Stringer, L.G., Hayman, R.J., Hinton, M.J., Badcock, R.A., Wisnom, M.R.: Curing stresses in thick polymer composite components Part II: Management of residual stresses. Proceedings of the 12th ICCM, Paris (France), July 5th–9th, 1999. Ref. CD-ROM paper 861, p. 1–10.Google Scholar
- 9.Brower, D.V.: Structural properties measurements in deepwater oil and gas fields using an advanced fiber optic sensor monitoring system. SAMPE J. 41(5), 6–9 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.Hernández-Moreno, H., Douchin, B., Collombet, F., Davies, P.: Precise positioning of unit cells and embedded instrumentation for fabrication and pressure testing of filament wound tubes. 11th ECCM, Rhodes (Greece), May 31–June 3, 2004, CD ROM.Google Scholar
- 13.Hernandez-Moreno, H.: Monitoring de la fabrication de tubes composites réalisés par enroulement filamentaire et comportement mécanique sous pression externe. PhD Thesis (in French). Paul Sabatier University (2006), p. 1–238.Google Scholar
- 16.Ioualalen, K.: Contribution à l’étude et au développement d’un nouveau matériau de remplissage structural constitué de sphères creuses à paroi polymère. PhD Thesis (in French). Paul Sabatier University (1996).Google Scholar