Modeling of Free Convection Boundary Layer Flow on a Solid Sphere with Newtonian Heating
- 242 Downloads
In this paper, the mathematical model of free convection boundary layer flow on a solid sphere with Newtonian heating, in which the heat transfer from the surface is proportional to the local surface temperature, is considered. The transformed boundary layer equations are solved numerically using an efficient numerical scheme known as the Keller-box method. Numerical solutions are obtained for the local wall temperature, the local skin friction coefficient, as well as the velocity and temperature profiles. The features of the flow and heat transfer characteristics for different values of the Prandtl number Pr and conjugate parameter γ are analyzed and discussed.
KeywordsBoundary layer Free convection Solid sphere Newtonian heating Numerical solutions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chiang, T., Ossin, A., Tien, C.L.: Laminar free convection from a sphere. J. Heat Transf. 86C, 537–542 (1964) Google Scholar
- 9.Nazar, R., Amin, N., Pop, I.: On the mixed convection boundary layer flow about a solid sphere with constant surface temperature. Arab. J. Sci. Eng. 27(2C), 119–135 (2002) Google Scholar
- 16.Pop, I., Lesnic, D., Ingham, D.B.: Asymptotic solutions for the free convection boundary-layer flow along a vertical surface in a porous medium with Newtonian heating. Hybrid Methods Eng. 2, 31–40 (2000) Google Scholar
- 17.Chaundary, R.C., Preeti, Jain: Unsteady free convection boundary-layer flow past an impulsively started vertical surface with Newtonian heating. Rom. J. Phys. 9, 911–925 (2006) Google Scholar
- 20.Salleh, M.Z., Nazar, R., Pop, I.: Mixed convection boundary layer flow over a horizontal circular cylinder with Newtonian heating. Heat Mass Transf. (2010, accepted) Google Scholar
- 21.Salleh, M.Z., Nazar, R.: Free convection boundary layer flow over a horizontal circular cylinder with Newtonian heating. Sains Malays. 39(4) (2010, in press) Google Scholar
- 24.Martynenko, O.G., Khramtsov, P.P.: Free-Convective Heat Transfer. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 25.Na, T.Y.: Computational Methods in Engineering Boundary Value Problem. Academic Press, New York (1979) Google Scholar
- 27.Cebeci, T., Cousteix, J.: Modeling and Computation of Boundary-Layer Flows: Laminar, Turbulent and Transitional Boundary Layers in Incompressible and Compressible Flows. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 28.Salleh, M.Z., Nazar, R., Arifin, N.M., Pop, I., Merkin, J.H.: Forced convection heat transfer over a horizontal circular cylinder with Newtonian heating. J. Eng. Math. (2009, submitted) Google Scholar
- 29.Salleh, M.Z., Ahmad, S., Nazar, R.: Numerical solutions of the forced convection boundary layer flow at a forward stagnation point. Eur. J. Sci. Res. 19, 644–653 (2008) Google Scholar