Measurement of the flow structures in the wakes of different types of parachute canopies
- 132 Downloads
We measured flow structures with stereoscopic particle image velocimetry (stereo-PIV) in the turbulent wakes of three parachute canopies, which had the same surface area, but different geometries. The tested parachute canopies included ribbon canopy, 8-branches canopy, and cross canopy. The obtained results showed that the geometry of the parachute canopies had significant influences on the flow structures in the wakes of these three canopies. In addition, the variation of Reynolds number did not lead to a dramatic change in the distributions of velocity, vorticity, Reynolds stress, and turbulent kinetic energy.
KeywordsParachute canopies Wake structures Particle image velocimetry
This work was supported by the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Grant 15ZR1442700) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- 2.Cockrell, D.J.: The aerodynamics of parachutes, AGARD-AG-295 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.Maydew, R.C., Peterson, C.W.: Design and testing of high-performance parachutes, AGARDograph 319 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Jorgensen, D.S.: Cruciform parachute aerodynamics. [Ph.D. thesis], University of Leicester, UK (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.Shen, C.Q., Cockrell, D.J.: Flow Field Characteristics Around Cup-like Bluff Bodies, Parachute Canopies, AIAA-91-0855-CP. AIAA, San Diego, CA (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Han, Y.H., Wang, Y.W., Yang, C.X., et al.: Numerical methods for analyzing the aerodynamic characteristics of cross parachute with permeability. In: AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems (ADS) Conference, Florida, AIAA 2013-1283, Mar 25–28 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Gao, X., Zhang, Q., Tang, Q.: Fluid-structure interaction analysis of parachute finite mass inflation. Int. J. Aerosp. Eng. 28, 1438727 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Desabrais, K.J.: Velocity field measurements in the near wake of a parachute canopy. [Ph.D. thesis], Mechanical Engineering Department, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Wernet, M.P., Locke, R.J., Wroblewski, A.: Application of stereo PIV on a supersonic parachute model. In: 47th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA 2007-0070, Jan 5–8 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Schairer, E.T., Heineck, J.T., Walker, L.A., et al.: Simultaneous, unsteady PIV and photogrammetry measurements of a tension-cone decelerator in subsonic flow. In: 15th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, July 5–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Sengupta, A., Longmire, E., Ryan, M., et al.: Performance of a conical ribbon drogue parachute in the wake of a subscale Orion command module. In: Aerospace Conference, 2012 IEEE, Big Sky, MT, Mar 3–10 (2012)Google Scholar