Rotationally controlled magneto-hydrodynamic particle handling for bead-based microfluidic assays
- 433 Downloads
This work presents a novel magnetic actuation scheme for advanced particle handling on our previously introduced, centrifugal microfluidic platform for array-based analysis of individual cells and beads. The conceptually simple actuation is based on the reciprocating motion of an elastomeric membrane featuring an integrated permanent magnet and a stationary magnet aligned along the orbit of a disc-based chamber. This compression chamber is placed at the downstream end of the particle capture chamber to induce centripetally directed, hydrodynamic lift forces on particles trapped in V-shaped geometrical barriers. Towards high frequencies of rotation, the on-disc magnet ceases to follow the rapidly oscillating magnetic field, so that the magnetic actuator is disabled during the initial, sedimentation-based filling of the trap array. At reduced spin speeds, the residence time of the magnetic actuator is sufficient to displace the magnetic actuator, resulting in a flow through the V-cup array that re-distributes, and eventually fully depletes, the previously trapped beads from the array. The same magnetic deflection scheme is also demonstrated to accelerate mixing, e.g. for upstream sample preparation.
KeywordsPDMS Spindle Motor Potassium Thiocyanate Artificial Gravity Magnetic Actuator
This work was supported by the Science Foundation Ireland under Grant No. 10/CE/B1821.
Supplementary material 2 (M4V 34054 kb)
- Burger R, Kijanka G, Sheils O, O’Leary J, Ducrée J (2011) Arrayed capture, assaying and binary counting of cells in a stopped-flow sedimentation mode. uTAS:538–540Google Scholar
- Ducrée J, Haeberle S, Lutz S, Pausch S, von Stetten F, Zengerle R (2007) The centrifugal microfluidic bio-disk platform. J Micromech Microeng. doi: 10.1088/0960-1317/17/7/S07
- Grumann M, Geipel A, Riegger L, Zengerle R, Ducrée J (2005b) Batch-mode mixing on centrifugal microfluidic platforms. Lab Chip. doi: 10.1039/b418253g
- Haeberle S, Schmitt N, Zengerle R, Ducrée J (2007) Centrifugo-magnetic pump for gas-to-liquid sampling. Sens Actuators A Phys. doi: 10.1016/j.sna.2006.09.001
- Hosokawa K, Sato K, Ichikawa N, Maeda M (2004) Power-free poly(dimethylsiloxane) microfluidic devices for gold nanoparticle-based DNA analysis. Lab Chip. doi: 10.1039/b403930k