The characteristics of diagnosis, patient care and education of asthma and COPD patients from the perspective of the actors in the Hungarian healthcare system
- 160 Downloads
In our study, we wanted to assess the workload under which health professionals work with asthmatic and COPD patients, the average time spent on investigation, patient care, patient education and on checking their previously acquired knowledge. We also wanted to know who educates these patients to the proper use of inhalation devices and how often they check their usage.
Subject and methods
We have conducted personal interviews and online surveys among health professionals. We made distinguished time spent on “freshly” diagnosed patients, routine control examinations and previously diagnosed patients. Participants: asthma nurses from the pulmonary care network, hospital departments, specialized practices and pulmonary care units; pulmonologists; specialists from internal medicine departments and emergency health care centres and GPs (general practitioners).
Our results show that in every group of healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of these patients, the number of daily meetings between healthcare professionals and patients is remarkably high (an average of 30 patients a day), and there is not enough time for patient education. Checking the proper usage of the device is often skipped and no appropriate educational materials are available.
Patients are not likely to have sufficient knowledge of their disease or the appropriate usage of their inhalation devices. Reorganization of the Hungarian COPD and asthmatic patient care system is needed as soon as possible to provide effective patient education and patient care.
KeywordsPatient education Asthma Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Use of inhalation devices Patient care Patient examination and education time
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Accordini S, Corsico AG, Braggion M, Gerbase MW, Gislason D, Gulsvik A, Heinrich J, Janson C, Jarvis D, Jögi R, Pin I, Schoefer Y, Bugiani M, Cazzoletti L, Cerveri I, Marcon A, de Marco R (2013) The cost of persistent asthma in Europe: an international population-based study in adults. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 160:93–101CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bezerédyné HM, Hentz A, Zalányi S (1967) Secular struggle for the Hungarian healthcare (in Hungarian). Közgazdasági és Jogi Könyvkiadó, Budapest Google Scholar
- Espinoza-Palma T, Zamorano A, Arancibia F, Bustos MF, Silva MJ, Cardenas C, De La Barra P, Puente V, Cerda J, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Prado F (2009) Effectiveness of asthma education with and without a self-management plan in hospitalized children. J Asthma 46:906–910. doi:10.3109/02770900903199979 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- ESzCSM 32/2004 (IV.26.) (2004) The Hungarian regulation about the prescription of subsidized medications. The Ministry of Health, Budapest. Available at: http://www.oep.hu/felso_menu/szakmai_oldalak/gyogyszer_segedeszkoz_gyogyfurdo_tamogatas/egeszsegugyi_vallalkozasoknak/pupha/Vegleges_PUPHA.html. Accessed 28 Aug 2015
- Herjavecz I, Boszormenyi NGY, Gyurkovits K, Magyar P, Dobos K, Nagy L, Alemao E, Ben-Joseph R (2003) Cost, morbidity and control of asthma in Hungary: the Hunair study. J Asthma 40:673–681Google Scholar
- Korányi National Institute of Tuberculosis and Pulmonology (2014) Korányi Bulletin. Available at: http://www.koranyi.hu/tartalom/bulletin/Evkonyv2014.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2015
- Krasznai É (2014) Status and future of the Hungarian general practitioner supply with focus on pediatric care (in Hungarian). Orvosok Lapja 12:32–35 http://www.weborvos.hu/adat/files/2015_januar/ol12.pdf. Accessed 29 Aug 2015
- R Core Team (2015) Statistical software: the R project for statistical computing. http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html. Accessed 20 May 2015
- The Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. GOLD (2015) Global strategy for diagnosis, management, and prevention of COPD. http://www.goldcopd.org/guidelines-global-strategy-for-diagnosis-management.html. Accessed 20 May 2015
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development OECD (2013) Health at a glance 2013. http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Health-at-a-Glance-2013.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2015