Esophageal submucosal hematoma: a case report and review of the literature
- 103 Downloads
The patient was a 75-year-old man. Under a diagnosis of angina pectoris, he was being treated with aspirin and ticlopidine hydrochloride at a local clinic. Severe postprandial pharyngeal/thoracic pain and hematemesis occurred. Upper digestive tract endoscopy revealed an extensive submucosal hematoma involving the esophageal orifice and cardia. Computed tomography (CT) scan did not show aortic dissociation or mediastinal emphysema. Antiplatelet therapy was discontinued, and follow-up was continued by fasting and conservative treatment with an H2-blocker. Ten days after onset, endoscopy showed the disappearance of the hematoma, and ingestion was started. Twenty-two days after onset, endoscopy revealed regeneration and cicatrization of the esophageal mucosa. In a detailed examination of heart diseases, angina pectoris was ruled out; therefore, antiplatelet therapy was discontinued. There has been no recurrent esophageal submucosal hematoma for 4 years of follow-up.
Key wordsEsophageal submucosal hematoma Antiplatelet therapy Hard confections
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Furukawa, H, Hara, T, Taniguchi, T, Tetsu, O 1993A case of spontaneous intramural hematoma of the esophagusGastroenterol Jpn28817Google Scholar
- 12.Hasebe, T, Hara, M, Segami, K, Harasawa, S, Miwa, T 1984A case of recurrent spontaneous submucosal hematoma of the esophagus (in Japanese)Syokakika177983Google Scholar
- 14.Kouzu, T, Hishikawa, E, Nakashima, K, Suzuki, Y, Sudamus, KC 2002A case of submucosal hematoma caused by fish bone (in Japanese)Rinsyosyokakinaika1715057Google Scholar
- 15.Mitogawa, T, Saito, D, Kinomura, M, Terami, T, Fujimori, M, Ogawa, D, et al. 2003A case of spontaneous esophageal intramural hematoma which was able to observe natural history by endoscopy (in Japanese)Hiroshimaigaku565447Google Scholar
- 16.Yabu, M, Kiriyama, K, Taniguchi, M, Iwao, N, Himeno, S 2003A case of esophageal submucosal hematoma presenting two days after taking much pepper sauce (abstract in English)Gastroenterol Endosc45208692Google Scholar
- 18.Nakahara, A, Taninaka, A 2004Esophageal intramural hematoma (in Japanese)Gastroenterol Endosc4615201Google Scholar
- 19.Kato, M, Kurosawa, S, Yakabi, K 2003Idiopathic esophageal submucosal hematoma (in Japanese)Syokakinorinsyo64346Google Scholar