Expression of β Defensins in Ocular Surface Tissue of Experimentally Developed Allergic Conjunctivitis Mouse Model
- 108 Downloads
To investigate the expression of β-defensin in the ocular surface of a mouse experimental allergic conjunctivitis (EAC) model.
Mouse β-defensin (mBD)-1 and -2 mRNA expressed in conjunctival tissue of both the EAC and the control group were analyzed by real-time reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) analysis. mBD-1 and mBD-2 mRNA expressed in cornea, limbus, and conjunctival epithelium of the EAC and the control group were also analyzed using a laser-assisted microdissection technique and the RT-PCR method.
There was no significant difference in the amount of mBD-1 between the EAC and the control group. However, the EAC group had significantly less mBD-2 (0.23 ± 0.15 × 104 copy/µl) than the control group (3.61 ± 4.87 × 104 copy/µl) (P < 0.01, Mann-Whitney U test). mBD-1 mRNA was positive for all examined tissue in both groups. The expression of mBD-2 mRNA in the EAC group was definitely positive for the corneal and conjunctival epithelium and negative for the limbus.
mBD-2 mRNA was expressed significantly less in the EAC model than in the control. Analysis by site in the ocular surface tissue revealed that this reduction was caused by the diminished expression of mBD-2 in the limbus. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2006;50:1–6 © Japanese Ophthalmological Society 2006
Key wordsβ-defensin laser-assisted microdissection mouse ocular surface real-time RT-PCR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Harder, J, Bartels, J, Christophers, E, Schröder, JM 2001Isolation and characterization of human β-defensin-3, a novel human inducible peptide antibioticJ Biol Chem2357075713Google Scholar
- 20.Zaballos, A, Villares, R, Albar, JP, Martinez, C, Marquez, G 2004Identification on mouse chromosome 8 of new β-defensin genes with regionally specific expression in the male reproductive organJ Biol Chem131242112426Google Scholar
- 24.Com, E, Bourgeon, F, Evrard, B, et al. 2002Expression of antimicrobial defensins in the male reproductive tract of rats, mice, and humansJ Biol Reprod6895104Google Scholar
- 26.Kobayashi, T, Miura, T, Haba, T, et al. 1998Inherent and antigen-induced airway hyperreactivity in NC miceAllergol Int48129135Google Scholar
- 27.Jia, HP, Wowk, SA, Schutte, BC, et al. 2000A novel murine β-defensin expressed in tongue, esophagus, and tracheaJ Biol Chem433331433320Google Scholar
- 29.Payan, RR, Medina, MA, Parra, SE, et al. 2003Quantification of cytokine gene expression using an economical real-time polymerase chain reaction method based on SYBR Green 1Scand J Immunol57439445Google Scholar
- 32.Maggie, E, Biswas, P, Del Prete, G, et al. 1991Accumulation of Th-2-like helper T cells in the conjunctiva of patients with vernal conjunctivitisJ Immunol14611691174Google Scholar