Agenesis of the dorsal pancreas: a very rare entity causing diabetes mellitus
- 6 Downloads
Dorsal pancreatic agenesis is a very rare pancreatic developmental anomaly resulting in missing corpus and cauda of the pancreas. Due to improvements and more widespread use of advanced radiological techniques like CT or MRI, the possibility of finding this disorder is growing. Thus, this rare congenital condition, as well as a pancreas divisum and pseudo-agenesis secondary to chronic pancreatitis, must be considered in the differential diagnosis. Although most of the patients seem to be asymptomatic, abdominal pain and pancreatitis may develop. Moreover, this entity should be known by the treating physician, as these patients are at a high risk of developing diabetes mellitus during their lifetime. Herein, we present the case of a 65-year-old woman with complete agenesis of the dorsal pancreas. The patient was hospitalized due to weight loss, abdominal discomfort, and diabetes mellitus type 2.
KeywordsPancreatic anomaly Fetal pancreatic development Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency Weight loss Pancreatitis
Conflict of interest
P. Dinkhauser, J. Paesold, D. Hubner, V. Steffan, R. Lampl, and H. Hofer declare that they have no competing interests.
- 6.Heiberg KA. Ein Fall von fehlender Cauda pancreatis (bei einem Diabetiker). Zentralbl Allg Pathol. 1911;22:676–7.Google Scholar
- 7.Cienfuegos JA, Rotellar F, Salguero J, Benito A, Solórzano JL, Sangro B. Agenesis of the dorsal pancreas: systematic review of a clinical challenge. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2016;108(8):479–84.Google Scholar
- 12.Sannappa RM, Buragohain J, Sarma D, Saikia UK, Choudhury BK. Agenesis of dorsal pancreas associated with periampullary pancreaticobiliary type adenocarcinoma. J Pancreas. 2014;15(5):489–92.Google Scholar
- 14.Balakrishnan V, Narayanan VA, Siyad I, Radhakrishnan L, Nair P. Agenesis of the dorsal pancreas with chronic calcific pancreatitis. Case report, review of the literature and genetic basis. J Pancreas. 2006;7(6):651–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Uygur-Bayramiçli O, Dabak R, Kiliçoglu G, Dolapçioglu C, Öztas D. Dorsal pancreatic agenesis. J Pancreas. 2007;8(4):450–2.Google Scholar