Landslides: a top international journal in geological engineering and engineering geology?
Scientific literature is becoming daily more and more abundant. Scientific and professional journals as primary information sources are competing to each other to attract readership. Their position (ranking, visibility, attractiveness, prestige) in scientific community can be measured by using different journal bibliometric and scientometric parameters, journal impact factor being only one of them. Springer Nature publishes the journal Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides since 2004. Being examined in the past by different authors from bibliometric and editorial point of view, this review on the journal’s achievements confirmed the high ranking of this journal in the fields of geological and geotechnical engineering and engineering geology. Strong and weak points are discussed from the bibliometric point of view, stressing the need for higher internationality of co-authorship of published articles in order to be true international journal. Continuous publishing and the move to a monthly journal in 2018 will eventually increase journal’s h-index and cited half-life of citations, but further editorial efforts should be directed to attract excellent review papers and focused technical notes to increase cites per paper. Until now, the journal Landslides is the foremost journal in the field of landslide disaster risk reduction, and the top young international journal in the field of geological engineering and engineering geology.
KeywordsLandslides Impact Factor International collaboration Citations Journal metrics Journal rankings
- Bergstrom CT, West J (2017) Comparing Impact factor and Scopus CiteScore Available at: http://eigenfactor.org/projects/posts/citescore.php
- Bui DT, Tuan TA, Klempe H, Pradhan B, Revhaug I (2016) Spatial prediction models for shallow landslide hazards: a comparative assessment of the efficacy of support vector machines, artificial neural networks, kernel logistic regression, and logistic model tree. Landslides 13(2):361–378CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clarivate Analytics (2017) Web of science. https://apps.webofknowledge.com/
- Elsevier (2017). Scopus journal metrics https://journalmetrics.scopus.com/
- Google (2017). Google Scholar Metrics – web page https://scholar.google.de/intl/en/scholar/metrics.html#metrics
- Haque U, Blum P, da Silva PF, Andersen P, Pilz J, Chalov SR, Malet J-P, Jemec Auflič M, Andres N, Poyiadji E, Lamas PC, Zhang W, Peshevski I, Pétursson HG, Kurt T, Dobrev N, García-Davalillo JC, Halkia M, Ferri S, Gaprindashvili G, Engström J, Keellings D (2016) Fatal landslides in Europe. Landslides 13(6):1545–1554CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Harzing A-W, Alakangas S (2016) Google Scholar, Scopus and the Web of Science: a longitudinal and cross-disciplinary comparison. Scientometrics 106: 787–804. Available at: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11192-015-1798-9.pdf
- Krauss J (2007) Journal self-citation rates in ecological sciences. Scientometrics 73(1): 79-89. Avalaible at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11192-007-1727-7
- Sassa K, Arbanas Ž (2017) Landslides: journal of the international consortium on landslides. In: Sassa K, Mikoš M, Yin Y (eds) Advancing culture of living with landslides. WLF 2017. Springer, Cham, 257–267. Avalaible at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-59469-9_21
- Springer (2017) Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides – home page http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/natural+hazards/journal/10346
- U-Multirank (2017) U-Multirank – home page www.umultirank.org/
- Wannous C, Velasquez G (2017) United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR)—UNISDR’s Contribution to Science and Technology for Disaster Risk Reduction and the Role of the International Consortium on Landslides (ICL). In: Sassa K, Mikoš M, Yin Y (eds) Advancing culture of living with landslides. WLF 2017. Springer, Cham, 99–115. Available at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-59469-9_6