HPLC Approach to Evaluate the Degree of Coverage of Polymer-Coated Hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine
- 187 Downloads
An efficient and reliable technique to evaluate the degree of coverage of hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX) was described. The method was based on a quantitative analysis of RDX leakage carried out with a high performance of liquid chromatography (HPLC). For this study, replicated analyses were performed on coated samples prepared by different kinds of coating materials and methods. The efficiency of characterization by using both HPLC and scanning electron microscope was compared. To note, the evaluation through former technique is more on macroscopic perspective rather than morphological observation of sample. Meanwhile, the HPLC method also provided characterization results that were in good agreement with morphology observation. A noteworthy advantage of this original technique is that the evaluation of coating quality of melt-cast explosives can be carried out under similar conditions. The experimental data were provided for deep understanding of the soluble behavior of coated RDX and its possible applications in practical problems.
KeywordsHPLC SEM Coated RDX Coverage Melt-cast explosives
The authors thank the National Natural Science Funds (No. 20973022) NSAF11076002 and China 111 Project No: B07012 for supporting the research.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 2.Costa Mottos de E, Moreira ED, Diniz MF, Dutra RCL, Silva da G, Iha K, Teipel U (2008) Propellants Explos Pyrotech 33:44–50Google Scholar
- 4.Cowey K, Day S, Fryer R (1985) Propellants Explos Pyrotech 10:61–64Google Scholar
- 5.Ringbloom VD (1982) United States Patent 4,357,185Google Scholar
- 6.Manning TG, Strauss B (2003) United States Patent 6,524,706Google Scholar
- 10.Stepanov V, Anglade V, Balas Hummers WA, Bezmelnitsy AV, Krasnoperov LN (2011) Propellants Explos Pyrotech 36:240–246Google Scholar
- 15.Heijden van der AEDM, Bouma RHB (2004) Cryst Growth Des 4:999–1007Google Scholar
- 19.Liao SR, Luo YJ, Yang Y, Sun J, Tan HM (2006) Chin J Explos Propellants 29:22–28 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 20.Liao SR, Luo YJ, Yang Y, Sun J, Tan HM (2006) Chin J Explos Propellants 14:336–339 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 21.Lu M, Chen Y, Luo YJ, Tan HM (2005) J Propuls Technol 26:89–92 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 22.Nie FD, Zhang J, Guo QX, Qiao ZQ, Zeng G.Y (2010) J Phys Chem Solids 71:109–113Google Scholar
- 23.Song HJ, Dong HS, Hao Y, Xiao HM (2002) J Nanjing Univ Sci Technol 26:303–307 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 24.Song HJ, Dong HS, Hao Y (2002) Acta Armament 23:132–135 (Chinese)Google Scholar