Apoptosis of human hepatoma cells induced by Gynostemma pentaphyllum Makino
- 34 Downloads
To identify the proapoptotic effects of Gynostemma pentaphyllum Makino (GpM) on human hepatoma cells.
The effects of GpM on the cell apoptosis of human hepatoma cell line Huh-7 was assessed by flow cytomety. The expression of Bcl-2, Bcl-XL, Bax and Bad molecules in hepatoma cells treated with GpM was detected by Western blot.
After treatment with 20 mg/mL GpM for 24 h, 56% of Huh-7 cells were undergoing apoptosis, while cell death was only observed in 12% of human fibroblast cells treated with GpM. Western blot demonstrated that, Bcl-2 was markedly decreased in Huh-7 cells treated with GpM. Whereas, Bax was significantly up-regulated in Huh-7 cells treated with GpM.
Treatment of human hepatoma cells with GpM induced apoptosis through the down-regulation of Bcl-2, and up-regulation of Bax.
Key wordsGynostemma pentaphyllum Makino apoptosis Bcl-2 Bax
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wei YM, Yu HJ, Zhao XY, et al. Effects of selenium dioxide on apoptosis, Bcl-2 and p53 expression, intracellular reactive oxygen species and calcium level in three human lung cancer cell lines. Chinese-German J Clin Oncol, 2004, 3: 141–146.Google Scholar
- 16.Yu R, Wang DS, Zhou H, et al. Clinical and experimental study on effects of Yinchen Wuling powder in preventing and treating hyperlipoproteinemia. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chinese), 1996, 16: 470–473.Google Scholar
- 20.Han H, Liu ZL, Liu MJ. Antithrombotic effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chinese), 1993, 13: 278–280.Google Scholar
- 21.Zhou ZT, Wang Y, Zhou YM, et al. The effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum mak (GP) on carcinogenesis of the golden hamster cheek pouch induced by DMBA. Chin J Stomatol (Chinese), 1996, 31: 267–270.Google Scholar
- 22.Wang CJ, Wang XJ, Li YQ, et al. A preliminary observation of preventive and blocking effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thunb) Makino on esophageal cancer in rats. J West Chin Uni Med Sci (Chinese), 1995, 26: 430–432.Google Scholar
- 23.Han MQ, Liu JX, Gao H, et al. Effects of 24 Chinese medicinal herbs on nucleic acid, protein and cell cycle of human lung adenocarcinoma cell. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chinese), 1995, 15: 147–149.Google Scholar