Seedling rot of Panax ginseng caused by Pythium myriotylum in Japan
- 5 Downloads
Sudden wilt and blight developed on ginseng seedlings (Panax ginseng) in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan, in June 2017. Rootlets rotted and fell off. Aseptate hyphae were observed in this trace tissue that detached from main roots, which had orange-yellowish tinges. The white mycelium isolated from the diseased main roots was identified as Pythium myriotylum based on morphology and cox1 gene sequences. The isolate reproduced the symptoms on healthy ginseng seedlings and was re-isolated from diseased seedlings. This is the first report of seedling rot (naegusare-byo in Japanese) on ginseng caused by P. myriotylum in Japan.
Keywordscox1 Medicinal plant Panax ginseng Seedling rot Pythium myriotylum
The authors thank Dr. T. Shibata (NIBIOHN) and Dr. S.-B. Hong (KACC) for valuable advice on the references.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Choi HJ, Chung HS (1971) Effects of fungicidal drenches on damping-off organisms in ginseng seed bed and yield of the seedling root. Korean J Plant Prot 10:7–12Google Scholar
- Hishida A (2017) Ginseng. In: Tastumi J (ed) Systematic agronomics 7, Cultivation and utilization of industrial crops (in Japanese). Asakura Publishing, Tokyo, pp 191–195Google Scholar
- Ishiguro Y, Otsubo K, Watarai M, Iwashita T, Tomita M, Suematsu M, Fukui H, Suga H, Kageyama K (2014) Seedling blight of Glycyrrhiza uralensis caused by Pythium myriotylum, P. aphanidermatum and P. spinosum and identifying primary inoculum sources using multiplex PCR detection. J Gen Plant Pathol 80:230–236CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miyazawa Y, Ogiwara H, Osumi T, Kobayashi K (1968) On ginseng new variety “Mimaki”. Bull Nagano Hort Expt Sta 7:62–72Google Scholar
- NARO Genebank (2019) Database of plant diseases in Japan. https://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/databases-micro_pl_diseases.php. Cited 5 April 2019
- Robideau GP, de Cock AWAM, Coffey MD, Voglmayr H, Brouwer H, Bala K, Chitty DW, Désaulniers N, Eggertson QA, Gachon CMM, Hu CH, Küpper FC, Rintour TL, Sarhan E, Verstappen ECP, Zhang Y, Bonants PJM, Ristaino JB, Lévesque CA (2011) DNA barcoding of oomycetes with cytochrome c oxidase subunit I and internal transcribed spacer. Mol Ecol Resour 11:1002–1011CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van der Plaats-Niterink AJ (1981) Monograph of the genus Pythium. Stud Mycol 21:1–242Google Scholar
- Watanabe T (2006) Agronomic characteristics of new ginseng cultivar “Kaishusan” (in Japanese). Tohoku Agric Res 59:87–88Google Scholar