Molecular characterization of Globodera pallida found in Japan using ribosomal DNA and mitochondrial cytochrome b gene sequences
- 233 Downloads
In Japan, Globodera pallida was first reported in Abashiri city, Hokkaido in 2015. Sequences of ribosomal DNA (rDNA) and mitochondrial cytochrome b gene (cytb) from the Japanese population of G. pallida were compared with those of overseas populations. The representative sequences for rDNA and for cytb from the Japanese population had 100% identity with the sequences from G. pallida populations of North America and Europe in GenBank. Phylogenetic analysis also showed that they clustered in the clade that included populations from Europe and North America. From these results, we concluded that the Japanese population of G. pallida is close to populations that have been reported in Europe and North America. Recent studies suggested that a few populations of G. pallida were introduced into Europe from South America and have spread to various places around the world, and according to our results, into Japan also.
KeywordsPale potato cyst nematode Phylogenetic analysis Internal transcribed spacer Mitotype
This study was supported by the Science and Technology Research Promotion Program for the Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries, and Food Industry (27039C).
- Eves-van den Akker S, Lilley CJ, Reid A, Pickup J, Anderson E, Cock PJA, Blaxter M, Urwin PE, Jones JT, Blok VC (2015) A metagenetic approach to determine the diversity and distribution of cyst nematodes at the level of the country, the field and the individual. Mol Ecol 24:5842–5851CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nježić B, Stare BG, Širca S, Grujić N (2014) First report of the pale potato cyst nematode Globodera pallida from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Plant Dis 98:575Google Scholar
- Širca S, Stare BG, Strajnar P, Urek G, Lautar IM (2012) First report of the pale potato cyst nematode Globodera pallida from Slovenia. Plant Dis 96:773Google Scholar
- Stone AR, Thompson PR, Hopper BE (1977) Globodera pallida present in Newfoundland. Plant Dis Rep 61:590–591Google Scholar
- Tirchi N, Troccoli A, Fanelli E, Mokabli A, Mouhouche F, De Luca F (2016) Morphological and molecular identification of potato and cereal cyst nematode isolates from Algeria and their phylogenetic relationships with other populations from distant their geographical areas. Eur J Plant Pathol 146:861–880CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yamada E, Takakura S, Tezuka H (1972) On the occurence of the poato cyst nematode, Heterodera rostochiensis Wollenweber in Hokkaido, Japan. Jpn J Nematol 2:12–15Google Scholar
- Zouhar M, Rysanek P, Garr V (2003) First report of the potato cyst nematode (Globodera pallida) in the Czech Republic. Plant Dis 87:98Google Scholar