Production of 1,3-propanediol by Clostridium butyricum VPI 3266 using a synthetic medium and raw glycerol
- 756 Downloads
Growth inhibition of Clostridium butyricum VPI 3266 by raw glycerol, obtained from the biodiesel production process, was evaluated. C. butyricum presents the same tolerance to raw and to commercial glycerol, when both are of similar grade, i.e. above 87% (w/v). A 39% increase of growth inhibition was observed in the presence of 100 g l−1 of a lower grade raw glycerol (65% w/v). Furthermore, 1,3-propanediol production from two raw glycerol types (65% w/v and 92% w/v), without any prior purification, was observed in batch and continuous cultures, on a synthetic medium. No significant differences were found in C. butyricum fermentation patterns on raw and commercial glycerol as the sole carbon source. In every case, 1,3-propanediol yield was around 0.60 mol/mol glycerol consumed.
KeywordsClostridium butyricum Raw glycerol 1,3-Propanediol
This work was financially supported by the European FAIR project (Contract No. FAIR-CT96-1912). M. González-Pajuelo was supported by PRAXIS XXI with a PhD grant (BD/16036/98).
- 2.Biebl H, Marten S, Hippe H, Deckwer W-D (1992) Glycerol conversion to 1,3-propanediol by newly isolated clostridia. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 36:592–597Google Scholar
- 4.Chowdhury J, Fouhy K (1993) Vegetable oils: from table to gas tank. Chem Eng 100:35–39Google Scholar
- 5.Claude S, Heming M, Hill K (2000) Commercialisation of glycerol. In: Stelter W, Kerckow B, Hagen M (eds) Proceedings of chemical-technical utilisation of vegetable oils conference, 20–21 June, Bonn, pp 129–146. ISBN 3 00 006959 3Google Scholar
- 8.Heyndrickx M, de Vos P, Vancanneyt M, de Ley J (1991) The fermentation of glycerol by Clostridium butyricum LMG 1212t2 and 1213t1 and Clostridium pasteurianum LMG 3285. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 34:637–642Google Scholar
- 14.Papoutsakis ET (1984) Equations and calculations for fermentations of butyric acid bacteria. Biotechnol Bioeng 26:174–187Google Scholar
- 15.Petitdemange E, Durr C, Abbad Andaloussi S, Raval G (1995) Fermentation of raw glycerol to 1,3-propanediol by new strains of Clostridium butyricum. J Ind Microbiol 15:498–502Google Scholar
- 16.Potera C (1997) Genecor&Dupont create “green” polyester. Genet Eng News 17:17Google Scholar
- 17.Saint-Amans S, Perlot P, Goma G, Soucaille P (1994) High production of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol by Clostridium butyricum in a simply controlled fed-batch system. Biotechnol Lett 17:211–216Google Scholar