Statistics of GPS ionospheric scintillation and irregularities over polar regions at solar minimum
- 485 Downloads
A statistical study of the occurrence characteristic of GPS ionospheric scintillation and irregularity in the polar latitude is presented. These measurements were made at Ny-Alesund, Svalbard [78.9°N, 11.9°E; 75.8°N corrected geomagnetic latitude (CGMLat)] and Larsemann Hills, East Antarctica (69.4°S, 76.4°E; 74.6°S CGMLat) during 2007–2008. It is found that the GPS phase scintillation and irregularity activity mainly takes place in the months 10, 11 and 12 at Ny-Alesund, and in the months 5, 6 at Larsemann Hills. The seasonal pattern of phase scintillation with respect to the station indicates that the GPS phase scintillation occurrence is a local winter phenomenon, which shows consistent results with past studies of 250 MHz satellite beacon measurements. The occurrence rates of GPS amplitude scintillation at the two stations are below 1%. A comparison with the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) B y and B z components shows that the phase scintillation occurrence level is higher during the period from later afternoon to sunset (16–19 h) at Ny-Alesund, and from sunset to pre-midnight (18–23 h) at Larsemann Hills for negative IMF components. The findings seem to indicate that the dependence of scintillation and irregularity occurrence on geomagnetic activity appears to be associated with the magnetic local time (MLT).
KeywordsGPS Ionospheric scintillation Polar latitude irregularity IMF
This work was supported by the Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration (20070209), National Natural Science Foundation of China (40774091, 40574072) and National Important Basic Research Project (2006CB806306). The authors acknowledge CDAWeb for providing the IMF datasets.
- Feldstein YI (1963) On morphology of auroral and magnetic disturbances at high latitudes. Geomagn Aeron SSSR 3:227–239Google Scholar
- Kelley MC (1989) The earth’s ionosphere, plasma physics and electrodynamics. Academic, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Klobuchar J (2002) Ionospheric research issues for SBAS—A White Paper. SBAS Ionospheric Working Group, Ver 225Google Scholar
- Mangalev VS, Krisvilev VN, Mingaleva GI (1994) Precipitating soft corpuscle influence on the parameters of the ionosphere E and F regions at the cusp region. Geomagn Aeron 34:200–204Google Scholar
- Rodrigues FS, Aquino MHO, Dodson A, Moore T, Waugh S (2004) Statistical analysis of GPS ionospheric scintillation and short-time TEC variations over northern Europe. J Inst Navig 51(1):59–75Google Scholar
- Van Dierendonck AJ, Hua Q, Klobuchar J (1993) Ionospheric scintillation monitoring using commercial single frequency C/A code receivers. In: Proceedings of ION GPS 93, Salt Lake City, UT, 22–24 September, pp 1333–1342Google Scholar