MATLAB Algorithm Availability Simulation Tool
This paper describes a set of MATLAB functions currently being developed for Space Based Augmentation System (SBAS) availability analysis. This toolset includes simulation algorithms that are constantly being developed and updated by various working groups. This set of functions is intended for use as a fast, accurate, and highly customizable experimental test bed for algorithm development. A user-friendly interface has also been developed for the tool. It is open source and can be downloaded from the Stanford GPS Research Laboratory web site (http://waas.stanford.edu/~wwu/maast/maast.html). Therefore, it provides a common ground for different working groups to compare their results. This paper demonstrates the utility of this toolset by analyzing the SBAS service volume models for the Conterminous United States. The paper describes the functionality provided within the software, and shows an example set of contour plots which are the means for investigating how different algorithms and parameters impact availability.
KeywordsSpace Based Augmentation System (SBAS) Global Positioning System (GPS) Service Volume Model (SVM) Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS)
The authors would like to thank the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for supporting this research. The authors would also like to thank the Taiwan National Science Council for supporting this research under research grant NSC-97-2221-E-006-061.
- Alexander S, Griffith C (2000) UDRE Monitor 8th revision Algorithm Description Document (UDRE ADD), WAAS Integrity Performance Panel (WIPP), November 20, 2000. (ADD is available to WIPP members only.)Google Scholar
- Enge P, Walter T, Pullen S, Kee C, Chao Y-C, Tsai Y-J (1996) Wide Area Augmentation of the Global Positioning System. In: Proceedings of the IEEE, volume: 84 issue: 8, August, 1996Google Scholar
- Fries R, Altshuler E, Griffith C, Walter T, Mannucci T, Sparks L, Pi X (2001) GIVE Monitor Algorithm Description Document (GIVE ADD), WIPP, January 22, 2001Google Scholar
- MATLAB, The Math Works Inc. MATLAB is a software tool for doing mathematical computations (see http://www.mathworks.com)
- McGraw GA, Murphy T, Brenner M, Pullen S, Van Dierendonck AJ (2000) Development of the LAAS Accuracy Models. In: Proceedings of ION GPS 2000, Salt Lake City, UTGoogle Scholar
- Poor W, Chawla J, Greanias S, Hashemi D, Yen P (1999) A Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) availability model and its use in evaluating WAAS architecture design sensitivities. Global positioning system Vol. VI. The Institute of Navigation, AlexandriaGoogle Scholar
- RTCA SC-159 (2006) Minimum Operational Performance Standard for Global Positioning System/Wide Area Augmentation System Airborne Equipment, RTCA/DO-229D, December 13, 2006Google Scholar
- Shallberg K, Shloss P, Altshuler E, Tahmazyan L (2001) WAAS Measurement Processing, Reducing the Effects of Multipath. In: Proceedings of ION GPS 2001, Salt Lake City, UTGoogle Scholar
- Walter T, Hansen A, Enge, P (2001) Message Type 28. In: Proceedings of ION NTM 2001. Long Beach, CAGoogle Scholar