A column generation algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with soft time windows
- 643 Downloads
The Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows consists of computing a minimum cost set of routes for a fleet of vehicles of limited capacity visiting a given set of customers with known demand, with the additional constraint that each customer must be visited in a specified time window. We consider the case in which time window constraints are relaxed into “soft” constraints, that is penalty terms are added to the solution cost whenever a vehicle serves a customer outside of his time window. We present a branch-and-price algorithm which is the first exact optimization algorithm for this problem.
KeywordsVehicle routing problem Soft time windows Column generation Branch-and-price Combinatorial optimization
MSC classification (2000)90C27
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balakrishnan N (1993) Simple heuristics for the vehicle routeing problem with soft time windows. J Oper Res Soc 44: 279–287Google Scholar
- Baldacci R, Mingozzi A, Roberti R (2009) An exact method for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. In: 20 th International symposium of mathematical programming, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Bramel J, Simchi-Levi D (2001) The vehicle routing problem, volume 9 of SIAM monographs on discrete mathematics and applications, chapter set-covering-based algorithms for the capacitated VRP. SIAM: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Cordeau JF, Desaulniers G, Desrosiers J, Solomon MM, Soumis F (2001) The vehicle routing problem, volume 9 of SIAM monographs on discrete mathematics and applications, chapter the VRP with time windows. SIAM: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Danna E, Le Pape C (2005) Column generation, chapter branch-and-price heuristics: a case study on the vehicle routing problem with time windows. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Kallehauge B, Larsen J, Madsen OBG, Solomon MM (2005) Column generation, chapter Vehicle routing problem with time windows. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Salani M (2006) Branch-and-price algorithms for vehicle routing problems. PhD thesis, University of MilanGoogle Scholar
- Sexton T, Choi Y (1986) Pickup and delivery of partial loads with soft time windows. Am J Math Manag Sci 6: 369–398Google Scholar
- Solomon MM (1983) Vehicle routing and scheduling with time windows constraints: models and algorithms. PhD thesis, University of PennsylvaniaGoogle Scholar