Optimized operating rules for short-term hydropower planning in a stochastic environment
- 10 Downloads
To operate a large-scale hydropower production system in an ever-changing environment, operating rules are a convenient way of communication between short-term planners and real-time dispatchers. This articles presents a new form of operating rules, and a solution approach to solve the short-term planning problem directly in the space of rules. Our operating rules are designed to handle complex hydro-valleys and highly constrained reservoirs. Our solution approach is based on tabu search and easily implemented. Uncertainty on inflows and electrical load is represented in the mathematical model via a 2-stage scenario tree. Numerical experiments on real instances from Hydro-Québec show that our approach is able to find good stochastic solutions while respecting the operational timing, and it improves the objective value by up to 54% in instances with moderate to high inflows.
KeywordsHydropower planning Operating rules Stochastic optimization Tabu search
This work was supported by NSERC/Hydro-Québec Industrial Research Chair on the Stochastic Optimization of Electricity Generation, Hydro-Québec Production, and Mitacs through the Mitacs Accelerate program.
- Ahuja RK, Magnanti TL, Orlin JB (1989) Chapter IV network flows. In: Handbooks in operations research and management science, vol 1. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 211–369. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0927050789010054
- Gendreau M, Potvin JY (eds) (2010) Handbook of metaheuristics. International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, vol 146. Springer, Boston. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-1665-5
- Hydro-Québec (2017) Annual report 2017. Hydro-QuébecGoogle Scholar
- Marchand A, Gendreau M, Blais M, Emiel G (2018) An efficient Tabu search procedure for short-term planning of large-scale hydropower systems, working paperGoogle Scholar
- van Ackooij W, Lopez ID, Frangioni A, Lacalandra F, Tahanan M (2018) Large-scale unit commitment under uncertainty: an updated literature survey. Technical report, Università di Pisa. http://eprints.adm.unipi.it/2374/1/UUC-Survey.pdf