Gastrointestinal function in dementia with Lewy bodies: a comparison with Parkinson disease
To investigate gastrointestinal function in dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson disease.
We examined gastric emptying and colonic transit time in 19 dementia with Lewy bodies and 46 Parkinson disease patients.
Gastric emptying was longer in dementia with Lewy bodies than in Parkinson disease (p = 0.014). Colonic transit time tended to be longer in dementia with Lewy bodies than in Parkinson disease. There was no relationship between gastric emptying and colonic transit time, nor between gastric emptying, colonic transit time and age.
Gastric emptying was prolonged in dementia with Lewy bodies compared to Parkinson disease.
KeywordsDementia with Lewy bodies Parkinson disease Gastric emptying Colonic transit time Constipation
Hirokazu Doi had a role in: acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data. Ryuji Sakakibara had a role in: study concept and design, acquisition of subjects and/or data, analysis and interpretation of data, and preparation of manuscript. Mitsutoshi Sato had a role in: acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data. Masayuki Masuda had a role in: acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data. Fuyuki Tateno had a role in: acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data. Yosuke Aiba had a role in: acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data. Masahiko Kishi had a role in: acquisition of subjects and/or data. Tomonori Yamanishi had a role in: review of data. Tatsuya Yamamoto had a role in: review of data. Katsuyoshi Matsuoka had a role in: acquisition of subjects and/or data.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
None of the authors have any conflicts of interest to declare.
- 1.McKeith IG, Dickson DW, Lowe J, Emre M, O’Brien JT, Feldman H, Cummings J, Duda JE, Lippa C, Perry EK, Aarsland D, Arai H, Ballard CG, Boeve B, Burn DJ, Costa D, Del Ser T, Dubois B, Galasko D, Gauthier S, Goetz CG, Gomez-Tortosa E, Halliday G, Hansen LA, Hardy J, Iwatsubo T, Kalaria RN, Kaufer D, Kenny RA, Korczyn A, Kosaka K, Lee VM, Lees A, Litvan I, Londos E, Lopez OL, Minoshima S, Mizuno Y, Molina JA, Mukaetova-Ladinska EB, Pasquier F, Perry RH, Schulz JB, Trojanowski JQ, Yamada M; Consortium on DLB. Diagnosis and management of dementia with Lewy bodies: third report of the DLB Consortium. Neurology 2005; 65: 1863–1872Google Scholar
- 7.Sakakibara R, Tateno F, Aiba Y, Ogata T, Kishi M, Terada H, Inaoka T, Nakatsuka T, Matsuoka K. MIBG myocardial scintigraphy identifies premotor PD/DLB during a negative DAT scan period: second report. Mov Disord Clinical Pract 2019: in pressGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nakada K, Aoyama N, Nakagawa M, Kawasaki N, Shirasaka D, Zai H, Urita Y, Kitagawa Y, Koyama S, Shishido T, Kusunoki H, Kato M, Hanyu N, Haruma K, Hongo M (2002) The report of the workshop entitled “The present and the future in gastric emptying study assessed by 13C breath test: with special reference to the standardization of the method” at the 44th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Smooth Muscle Society. J Smooth Muscle Res 6:75–91CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Devroede G (1993) Radiopaque marker measurement of colorectal transit. In: Schuster MM (ed) Atlas of gastrointestinal motility in health and disease, Chapter 3. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 57–75Google Scholar
- 14.Sakakibara R, Doi H, Fukudo S. Lewy body constipation. J Anus Rectum, 2018: in pressGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lee HJ, Jung KW, Chung SJ, Hong SM, Kim J, Lee JH, Hwang SW, Ryu HS, Kim MJ, Lee HS, Seo M, Park SH, Yang DH, Ye BD, Byeon JS, Choe J, Jung HY, Yang SK, Myung SJ. Relation of enteric α-synuclein to gastrointestinal dysfunction in patients with Parkinson’s disease and in neurologically intact subjects. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2018; 24:469–478Google Scholar