Can an Offsite Expert Remotely Evaluate the Visual Estimation of Ejection Fraction via a Social Network Video Call?
- 91 Downloads
We aimed to investigate whether an offsite expert could effectively evaluate visually estimated ejection fraction (EF) while watching and guiding the echocardiographic procedure of an onsite novice practitioner using a social network video call. Sixty patients presenting to the intensive care unit and requiring echocardiography between October and November 2016 were included. Sixty novice sonographers without any previous experience of echocardiography participated. Prior to the procedure, the onsite cardiologist completed the echocardiography and determined the EF using the modified Simpson’s method (reference value). Then, the novice practitioner performed the echocardiography again with the offsite expert’s guidance via a social network video call. The EF was visually estimated by the offsite expert while watching the ultrasound video on the smartphone display. Spearman’s rank correlation and Bland-Altman plot analysis were conducted to assess the agreement between the two methods. There was excellent agreement between the two methods, with a correlation coefficient of 0.94 (p < 0.001). The Bland-Altman plot showed that the average bias was −3.05, and the limit of agreement (−10.3 to 4.2) was narrow. The offsite expert was able to perform an accurate visual estimation of ejection fraction remotely via a social network video call by mentoring the onsite novice sonographer.
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02960685.
KeywordsTelesonography Viewing of clinical imaging Smartphone
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This study was approved by the Institutional Review Board of Hanyang university guri hospital.
No external funding was secured for this study.
The authors have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 2.Lebeau R, Sas G, El Rayes M, Serban A, Moustafa S, Essadiqi B, DiLorenzo M, Souliere V, Beaulieu Y, Sauve C, Amyot R, Serri K. Left ventricular ejection fraction assessment by non-cardiologists from transverse views using a simplified wall motion score index Echo Res Pract 2015;2(1):1–8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Huynh-Thu Q, Ghanbari M. Temporal aspect of perceived quality in mobile video broadcasting. IEEE Tran Broadcast 54(3), 2008Google Scholar
- 16.The state of the internet, 1st quarter 2016 Akamai’s report. Available at https://www.akamai.com/es/es/multimedia/documents/state-of-the-internet/akamai-state-of-the-internet-report-q1-2016.pdf. Accessed 26 November 2016.
- 17.FaceTime vs Skype: the video- and voice-calling services compared. Available at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/software/facetime-vs-skype-3634425/. Accessed 6 October 2016.
- 18.Skype vs Facetime: looking for the best video calling experience on iOS. Available at http://www.guidingtech.com/17889/skype-vs-facetime-best-video-calling-ios/. Accessed 6 October 2016.
- 19.Statista; Number of monthly active Kakaotalk users from 1st quarter 2013 to 3rd quarter 2016. Available at http://www.statista.com/statistics/278846/kakaotalk-monthly-active-users-mau/. Accessed 6 October 2016.