Imaging Facilities for Basic Medical Units: A Case in the State of Guerrero, Mexico
- First Online:
- 82 Downloads
This work presents the methodology to design a small imaging unit in a small regional hospital that takes into account the real imaging needs in the region regardless of current administrative guidelines. The situation of the imaging facilities in Mexico’s states is studied and compared with other countries, and a project plan is designed for the specific state (Guerrero) where the clinic is to be located. The proposal includes the acquisition of a basic suite of modalities that include an ultrasound system, a mammography unit, and a conventional X-ray system in addition to a CT system that is not available anywhere within the state. The system should be primarily digital and should incorporate a simple picture archiving and communications system that can be the basis of a future telemedicine unit. The conclusion of this study also proposes changes in the segmented and pyramidal structure of the Mexican health system in order to provide higher quality care at the lower level, to reduce bottlenecks, and to provide higher quality health care near the patient’s home.
KeywordsMedical imaging Healthcare systems Medical technology assessment PACS Diagnostic imaging Digital imaging Digital radiography Medical economics Health technology Radiology department Hospital
- 1.C. Schwellnus. Achieving Higher Performance Enhancing Spending Efficiency in Health and Education in Mexico. OECD Economics Department Working Paper No. 732. Available at http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/5/17/42865347.pdf. Accessed October 2010.
- 2.División Técnica de Información estadística en salud, IMSS. Inventario funcional del equipo médico de imagenología, 2003. Revista Médica del IMSS 43(1): 75–81, 2005.Google Scholar
- 3.OECD Directorate for Employment, Labor and Social Affairs. Health Policy in Mexico. September 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Borretzen. Diagnostic Radiology in Norway. Radiation Protection Dosimetry 124(4):339–347, 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Palesh, S. Fredrikson, H. Jamshidi, P. Jonsson, G. Tomson Diffusion of magnetic resonance imaging in Iran. Int. J. Tech. Assess in health care 23(2): 278–285, 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Secretaría de Salud. Plan Nacional de Salud 2007-2012. Available at http://alianza.salud.gob.mx/descargas/pdf/pns_version_completa.pdf. Accessed October 2005.
- 7.E. Puentes Rosas, S. Sesma, O. Goméz Dantés Estimación de la población con seguro de salud en México mediante una encuesta nacional. Salud Pública Mex. 47(sup 1):22–26, 2005.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Azpiroz Leehan, S. Vides Cañas, F. Martínez Licona, M. Cadena Méndez Methodology for the Design of a PACS in a Small Provincial Hospital IEEE Proceedings of the 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Vancouver, BC Canada, 386–389, 2008Google Scholar