Has the Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) Become a Commodity?
- 295 Downloads
The Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) market has been transformed by disruptive innovations from the information technology industry. The cost of storage alone has dropped by a factor of 100 within the past 10 years. Improvements in display, processing, and networking have likewise enabled PACS to be a capable replacement for film. The maturity of PACS has permeated the US healthcare industry from large academic hospitals to small outpatient imaging centers. Can PACS continue to be a platform for innovation or has it become a commodity?
Key wordsPACS cost analysis computer hardware
- 1.PACS ROI. Health Imaging & IT magazine. http://www.healthimaging.com/index.php?option=com_articles&view=article&id=3527:Case%20Studies. Last accessed November 15, 2009
- 2.Moore GE: Cramming more components onto integrated circuits. Electronics 38(8):114–7, 1965Google Scholar
- 3.PACS workstation hardware comes right off the shelf. Diagnostic Imaging 2003: http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/display/article/113619/1178397?verify=0. Last accessed November 15, 2009
- 7.Christensen C: The innovator's dilemma. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.Nagy et al. Automated Web-based Graphical Dashboard for Radiology Operational Business Intelligence. Radiographics 29:1897–1906, 2009Google Scholar
- 9.http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/COMMODITY. Last accessed December 30, 2009
- 10.http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/ask/crude_types1.html, retrieved December 30, 2009
- 11.Addressing the coming radiology crisis: the Society for Computer Applications in Radiology transforming the radiological interpretation process (TRIP) initiative. http://www.siim2009.org/trip/pdf/TRIPWhitePaper-Nov03.pdf, retrieved December 31, 2009
- 12.Siegel El, Chen JJ, Kunaprayoon D, Morgan TA, Reiner BI and Saenz NJ: Creation and testing of a database of clinical and synthesized data for testing and comparing the performance of advanced visualization software. Presented at the Society of Imaging Informatics in Medicine Meeting. Charlotte, NC, June 4–7, 2009Google Scholar
- 13.http://seekingalpha.com/article/176989-intel-stumbles-in-discrete-pc-graphics-market. Last accessed December 31, 2009
- 14.Plantes MK, Finfrock R: Beyond price. Greenleaf Brook, Austin, 2008Google Scholar