A Study on Hemorrhage Detection Using Hybrid Method in Fundus Images
- 283 Downloads
Image processing of a fundus image is performed for the early detection of diabetic retinopathy. Recently, several studies have proposed that the use of a morphological filter may help extract hemorrhages from the fundus image; however, extraction of hemorrhages using template matching with templates of various shapes has not been reported. In our study, we applied hue saturation value brightness correction and contrast-limited adaptive histogram equalization to fundus images. Then, using template matching with normalized cross-correlation, the candidate hemorrhages were extracted. Region growing thereafter reconstructed the shape of the hemorrhages which enabled us to calculate the size of the hemorrhages. To reduce the number of false positives, compactness and the ratio of bounding boxes were used. We also used the 5 × 5 kernel value of the hemorrhage and a foveal filter as other methods of false positive reduction in our study. In addition, we analyzed the cause of false positive (FP) and false negative in the detection of retinal hemorrhage. Combining template matching in various ways, our program achieved a sensitivity of 85% at 4.0 FPs per image. The result of our research may help the clinician in the diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy and might be a useful tool for early detection of diabetic retinopathy progression especially in the telemedicine.
Key wordsTemplate matching hemorrhage fundus image
This work was supported by a research grant from Seoul industrial-educational cooperation project (grant ST090841) and the original project of National Cancer Center, Korea (grant 0810122).
- 1.The 4th Korea National Health & Nutrition Examination Survey, Ministry of Welfare and Family Affairs, South Korea, 2008Google Scholar
- 9.Hatanaka Y, Nakagawa T, Hayashi Y, Hara T, Fujita H: Improvement of Automated Detection Method of Hemorrhages in Fundus Images. IEEE EMBS Vancouver, Canada, 2008, pp 5429–5432Google Scholar
- 10.Abramoff MD, Viergever MA, Niemeijer M, Russell SR, Suttorp-Schulten MSA, van Ginneken B (2008) Evaluation of a system for automatic detection of diabetic retinopathy from color fundus photographs in a large population of patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care 31(2):193–198PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Suri JS, Wilson DL, Laxminarayan S: Handbook of biomedical image analysis II:320–323, 2005Google Scholar
- 12.Zuiderveld K: Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization. San Diego: Academic Press Professional, Inc., 1994Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang X, Chutatape O: A SVM approach for detection of hemorrhages in background diabetic retinopathy. Proceedings of 2005 IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2005. IJCNN ’05Google Scholar