Academic medical centers, in general, and radiation oncology research, in particular, rely heavily on custom software tools and applications. The code development is typically the responsibility of a single individual or at most a small team. Often these individuals are not professional programmers but physicists, students, and physicians. While they possess domain expertise and algorithm knowledge, they often are not fully aware of general “safe coding” practices—nor do they need the full complexity familiar in large commercial software projects to succeed. Rather, some simple guidelines we refer to as “programming in the small” can be used.
Key wordsQuality assurance software design medical informatics applications
- 1.Wirfs-Brock R, Wilkerson B: Object-oriented design: a responsibility-driven approach. In: Conference Proceedings on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and Applications (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, October 2–6, 1989). OOPSLA ‘89. ACM Press,New York, 1989, pp 71–75Google Scholar
- 2.Cockburn A. Writing Effective Use Cases. New York: Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., 2001Google Scholar
- 3.http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/umlDiagrams.htm. Last viewed: October 2009
- 4.DeRemer, F, Kron H: Programming-in-the large versus programming-in-the-small. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Reliable Software. ACM, Los Angeles, CA, 1975, pp 114–121 Google Scholar
- 5.http://alistair.cockburn.us/Why+I+still+use+use+cases, Last viewed October 2009.
- 6.Horstman C: Mastering Object-Oriented Design in C++. New York: Wiley, 1995Google Scholar
- 7.Alhir S: UML in a Nutshell. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly & Associates, Inc., 1998Google Scholar
- 8.Booch G: Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications, 2nd edition. New York: Addison-Wesley, 1994Google Scholar
- 9.Martelli, A: Python in a Nutshell, 2nd edition. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly & Associates, Inc., 2006Google Scholar
- 10.http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/std_public/description/se/1008-1987_desc.html. IEEE Standard for Software Unit Testing, Last viewed October 2009.