Using Java to Generate Globally Unique Identifiers for DICOM Objects
- First Online:
- 50 Downloads
Digital imaging and communication in medicine (DICOM) specifies that all DICOM objects have globally unique identifiers (UIDs). Creating these UIDs can be a difficult task due to the variety of techniques in use and the requirement to ensure global uniqueness. We present a simple technique of combining a root organization identifier, assigned descriptive identifiers, and JAVA generated unique identifiers to construct DICOM compliant UIDs.
Key wordsDigital imaging and communications in medicine (DICOM) structured reporting digital imaging
- 2.NEMA. DICOM Part 1: Introduction and Overview. PS 3.1-2006. Available at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07_01pu.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2007.
- 3.NEMA. DICOM Part 5: Data Structures and Encoding. PS 3.5-2004. Available at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07_05pu.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2007.
- 4.NEMA. DICOM Part 6: Data Dictionary. PS 3.6-2007. Available at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07_06pu.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2007.
- 5.NEMA. DICOM Part 4: Service Class Specifications. PS 3.4-2007. Available at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07_04pu.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2007.
- 6.NEMA. DICOM Part 3: Information Object Definitions. PS 3.3-2004. Available at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07_03pu.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2007.
- 7.Kamauu AWC, DuVall SL, Liimatta A, Wiggins RH, 3rd, Avrin DE: Implementing the IHE Teaching File and Clinical Trial Export Profile to Develop a MIRC-Compliant Vendor-Neutral Export Selector That Uses RadLex Terminology. Presented at: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2006; McCormick Place, Chicago, Illinois.Google Scholar
- 9.Clunie D. UID Registration. http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part8.html#UIDRegistration. Accessed April 3, 2007.
- 10.IANA. Private Enterprise Number (PEN) Request Template. http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl. Accessed April 3, 2007.
- 11.DICOM News Group (UID root search). http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/search?q=UID+root&start=0&scoring=d&. Accessed February 28, 2007.