Using Applet–Servlet Communication for Optimizing Window, Level and Crop for DICOM to JPEG Conversion
- 86 Downloads
In the creation of interesting radiological cases in a digital teaching file, it is necessary to adjust the window and level settings of an image to effectively display the educational focus. The web-based applet described in this paper presents an effective solution for real-time window and level adjustments without leaving the picture archiving and communications system workstation. Optimized images are created, as user-defined parameters are passed between the applet and a servlet on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act-compliant teaching file server.
Key wordsElectronic teaching file image manipulation web technology
This project was partially supported by the NIH NLM 2T15 LM07124 training grant and Amirsys®. Authors DEA and RHW are consultants to and stockholders in Amirsys®.
- 3.Kamauu AWC, DuVall SL, Liimatta A, Avrin DE, Wiggins RH, 3rd: Automatic window-level calculation for DICOM to JPEG conversion for vendor-neutral teaching file web application. Paper presented at: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA). McCormick Place, Chicago, IL, 2005Google Scholar
- 5.Lowe D, Murach J, Steelman A: Murach’s beginning Java 2 JDK 5. Mike Murach and Associates, 2005Google Scholar
- 6.Hall M: Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages, 1st edition: Sun Microsystems Press/Prentice Hall PTR, 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Kamauu AWC, DuVall SL, Robison RJ, Liimatta AP, Wiggins RH, Avrin DE: Vendor-Neutral Case Input to a Server-based Digital Teaching File System. Radiographics. Nov–Dec 2006Google Scholar
- 8.Muto K, Emoto Y, Katohji T, Nagashima H, Iwata A, Koga S: PC-based Web-oriented DICOM Server: The “DIY” DICOM Server—Cost-effective, High Performance and Easy to Customize. Paper presented at: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago, IL, 2000Google Scholar
- 9.OFFIS: OFFIS DICOM Software, DCMTK—DICOM Toolkit. http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk.php.en. Accessed March 6, 2007
- 10.LLC IS: ImageMagick. http://www.imagemagick.org. Accessed March 6, 2007
- 11.Avrin DE, Andriole KP, Arenson RL: Integration of a digital teaching file at the diagnostic workstation. Paper presented at: Society of Computer Applications in Radiology (SCAR), June 6–9, 1996, Denver, CO, 1996Google Scholar