Recognition and Prevention of Computed Radiography Image Artifacts
- 160 Downloads
Initiated by complaints of image artifacts, a thorough visual and radiographic investigation of 197 Fuji, 35 Agfa, and 37 Kodak computed radiography (CR) cassettes with imaging plates (IPs) in clinical use at four radiology departments was performed. The investigation revealed that the physical deterioration of the cassettes and IPs was more extensive than previously believed. It appeared that many of the image artifacts were the direct result of premature wear of the cassettes and imaging plates. The results indicate that a quality control program for CR cassettes and IPs is essential and should include not only cleaning of the cassettes and imaging plates on a regular basis, but also visual and radiographic image inspection to limit the occurrence of image artifacts and to prolong the life cycle of the CR equipment.
Key WordsComputed radiography cassette imaging plate image artifact yellowing delamination quality control
The authors thank Brad Arkles (Agfa), Lew Potts (Christie Group), and Pino Rana (Kodak) for providing supporting documentation. Also, they thank Jan Williams, Maggie Stewart, Paul Wasyliew, and Wendy Christenssen for providing access to the CR readers, cassettes, and imaging plates in their radiology departments.
- 1.Christie Group Ltd: Imaging Plate & Cassette Cleaning Guide, Fuji Computed Radiography, January, 2004Google Scholar
- 2.Minnigh DM, MacCutcheon DW: FUJIFILM Medical Systems FCR Quality Assurance Program. FUJIFILM Medical Systems, USA: 24–25, 28–30, 2000Google Scholar
- 3.Guidelines for Acceptance Testing and Quality Control, Kodak DirectView CR 800 System and Kodak DirectView CR 900 System. Technical and Scientific Bulletin, 2001Google Scholar
- 4.Przybyszewski J: Kodak DirectView CR Cassette/Screen Cleaning Instructions. Service Bulletin, Health Imaging Products, Eastman Kodak Company, Publication Number 9F7318, 2005Google Scholar
- 5.Salloum Z: AGFA ADC GUIDE CR Basics, Agfa Diagnostic Centre Professional Services, 2004Google Scholar
- 7.Cesar LJ, Schueler BA, Zink FE, Daly TR, Taubel JP, Jorgenson LL: Artefacts found in computed radiography. Br J Radiol 195–202, February 2001Google Scholar
- 8.Willis, CE: What's new in quality assurance for computed radiography? Decisions in imaging economics. The Journal of Imaging Technology Management. October 2004Google Scholar