Computerized Digital Imaging Techniques Provided by Digital X-ray Radiogrammetry as New Diagnostic Tool in Rheumatoid Arthritis
Our study evaluates digital x-ray radiogrammetry (DXR) and Radiogrammetry Kit (RK) as a new diagnostic method for the measurement of disease-related osteoporosis including quantification of joint space narrowing dependent on the severity of rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
Materials and Methods
A total of 172 unselected patients with RA underwent computerized measurements of bone mineral density (BMD) and metacarpal index (MCI) by DXR, as well as a semiautomated measurement of joint space distances at the metacarpal–phalangeal articulation (JSD-MCP 2–5), both were analyzed from plain radiographs of the nondominant hand.
Correlations between DXR-BMD and DXR-MCI vs. parameters of RK were all significant (0.34 < R < 0.61; p < 0.01). An expected negative association was observed between RK parameters and the different scoring methods (−0.27 < R < −0.59). The maximum relative decrease in BMD vs. MCI as measured by DXR between the highest and lowest RA severity group was −27.7% vs. −27.5% (p < 0.01) for the modified Larsen Score, whereas the minimal value of relative DXR-BMD and DXR-MCI reduction could be documented for the Sharp Erosion Score (−20.8% vs. −26.8%; p < 0.01). The relative reduction of mean JSD-MCP using RK significantly varied from −25.0% (Sharp Erosion Score) to −41.2% (modified Larsen Score). In addition, an excellent reproducibility of DXR and RK could be verified.
DXR in combination with RK could be a promising, widely available diagnostic tool to supplement the different scoring methods of RA with quantitative data, allowing an earlier and improved diagnosis and more precision in determining disease progression.
Key WordsDigital x-ray radiogrammetry rheumatoid arthritis joint space width bone mineral density metacarpal index Larsen Score Sharp Score
- 4.Lodder, MC, Haugeberg, G, Lems, WF, Uhlig, T, Orstavik, RE, Kostense, PJ, Dijkmans, PA, Kvien, TK, Woolf, AD 2003Radiographic damage associated with low bone mineral density and vertebral deformities in rheumatoid arthritis: The Oslo–Truro–Amsterdam (OSTRA) collaborative studyArthritis Rheum49209215PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Malich, A, Fischer, DR, Fascius, M, Petrovitch, A, Böttcher, J, Marx, C, Hansch, A, Kaiser, WA 2005Effect of breast density on computer aided detectionJ Digit Imaging1918711889Google Scholar
- 13.Maffei, L, Venarotti, H, Treviso, J, Sorensen, TK, Nissen, D 2000Digital X-ray radiogrammetry: A Hispanic normative reference database for the Pronosco X-Posure systemJ Bone Miner Res15304Google Scholar
- 16.Wüster, C, Wenzler, M, Kappes, J, Rehm, C, Gühring, T, Arnbjerg, C 2000Digital X-ray radiogrammetry as a clinical method for estimating bone mineral density—a German reference databaseJ Bone Miner Res15298Google Scholar
- 25.Jensen, T, Klarlund, M, Hansen, M, Jensen, KE, Podenphant, J, Hansen, TM 2004Bone loss in unclassified polyarthritis and early rheumatoid arthritis is better detected by digital radiogrammetry than dual X-ray absorptiometry: Relationship with disease activity and radiographic outcomeAnn Rheum Dis631522PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Böttcher, J, Malich, A, Pfeil, A, Petrovitch, A, Lehmann, G, Heyne, JP, Hein, G, Kaiser, WA 2004Potential clinical relevance of digital radiogrammetry for quantification of periarticular bone demineralization in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis depending on severity and compared with DXAEur Radiol14631637PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Jergas, M 2003
Conventional radiographs and basic quantitative methodsGrampp, S eds. Radiology of OsteoporosisSpringerBerlin6264Google Scholar
- 29.Steinbroker, O, Traeger, CH, Batterman, RC 1949Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritisJAMA140659662Google Scholar
- 33.Haugeberg, G, Lodder, MC, Lems, WF 2004Hand cortical bone mass and its associations with radiographic joint damage and fractures in 50–70 year old female patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Cross sectional Oslo–Truro–Amsterdam (OSTRA) collaborative studyAnn Rheum Dis6313311334PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar