Universal stress protein in Malus sieversii confers enhanced drought tolerance
Drought is an important environmental factor that can severely affect plant growth and reproduction. Although many genes related to drought tolerance have been studied in economically important crops, very few genes have been functionally identified in Malus sieversii. In this study, we isolated a new gene based on throughput RNA sequencing analysis and constructed genetic expression vectors and transformed in Arabidopsis thaliana for functional verification. The results showed that MsUspA ectopic expression driven by constitutive (CaMV 35S) promoter gave rise to substantial improvements in ability of transgenic A. thaliana plants to survive under extreme drought conditions. Improved drought resistance mainly depends on more compact cellular structure, longer roots, strong resilience and low-level ROS. Molecular expression analysis showed that MsUspA may be involved in hormone and secondary metabolite synthesis regulation to improve drought resistance.
KeywordsM. sieversii Transcriptome MsUspA Drought stress
Conceptualization, WY, WS, GY and MY; methodology, MY and SC; formal analysis, MY, HW, YZ; resources, GY; writing-review and editing, TW; project administration, WS; data curation, WY.
This research was funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31371682), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (ZYGX2014J081).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Altermann E, Klaenhammer TR (2005) Pathway Voyager: pathway mapping using the Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG) database. BMC Genomics 6:1–7Google Scholar
- Cheng ZJ, Wang L, Sun W, Zhang Y, Zhou C, Su YH, Li W, Sun TT, Zhao XY, Li XG, Cheng Y, Zhao Y, Xie Q, Zhang XS (2013) Pattern of auxin and cytokinin responses for shoot meristem onduction results from the regulation of cytokinin biosynthesis by auxin response factor. Plant Physiol 161:240–251PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Clough SJ, Bent AF (1998) Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J 16:735–743Google Scholar
- Conesa A, Götz S, Garcíagómez JM, Terol J, Talón M, Robles M (2005) Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research. Bioinformatics 21:3674Google Scholar
- Drumm JE, Mi K, Bilder P, Sun M, Lim J, Bielefeldtohmann H, Basaraba R, So M, Zhu G, Tufariello JM (2009) Correction: Mycobacterium tuberculosis universal stress protein Rv2623 regulates bacillary growth by ATP-Binding: requirement for establishing chronic persistent infection. Plos Pathogens 5Google Scholar
- Guttikonda SK, Valliyodan B, Neelakandan AK, Tran L-SP, Kumar R, Quach TN, Voothuluru P, Gutierrez-Gonzalez JJ, Aldrich DL, Pallardy SG, Sharp RE, Ho TH, Nguyen HT (2014) Overexpression of AtDREB1D transcription factor improves drought tolerance in soybean. Molec Biol Rep 41:7995–8008Google Scholar
- Ibragimova SM, Trifonova EA, Filipenko EA, Shymny VK (2015) Evaluation of salt tolerance of transgenic tobacco plants bearing the P5CS1 gene of Arabidopsis thaliana. Russian J Genet 51:1181–1188Google Scholar
- Jiménez S, Dridi J, Gutiérrez D, Moret D, Irigoyen JJ, Moreno MA, Gogorcena Y (2013) Physiological, biochemical and molecular responses in four Prunus rootstocks submitted to drought stress. Tree Physiol 00:1–15Google Scholar
- Jordon-thaden IE, Chanderbali AS, Gitzendanner MA, Soltis DE (2015) Modified CTAB and TRIZOL protocols improve RNA extraction from chemically complex embryophyta1. Appl Plant Sci 3:1–22Google Scholar
- Jung YJ, Melencion SMB, Lee ES, Park JH, Alinapon CV, Oh HT, Yun D-J, Chi YH, Lee SY (2015a) Universal stress protein exhibits a redox-dependent chaperone function in Arabidopsis and enhances plant tolerance to heat shock and oxidative stress. Front Plant Sci 6Google Scholar
- Jung YJ, Melencion SMB, Lee ES, Park JH, Alinapon CV, Oh HT, Yun DJ, Yong HC, Sang YL (2015b) Universal stress protein exhibits a redox-dependent chaperone function in Arabidopsis and enhances plant tolerance to heat shock and oxidative stress. Front Plant Sci 6:1141PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ksouri N, Jiménez S, Wells CE, Contreras-Moreira B, Gogorcena Y (2016) Transcriptional responses in root and leaf of Prunus persica under drought stress using RNA sequencing. Fronit Plant Sci 7:1715Google Scholar
- Liscum E, Reed JW (2002) Genetics of Aux/IAA and ARF action in plant growth and development. Plant Molec Biol 49:387–400Google Scholar
- Porcel R, Azcon R, Ruiz-Lozano JM (2004) Evaluation of the role of genes encoding for D1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase (P5CS) during drought stress in arbuscular mycorrhizal Glycine max and Lactuca sativa plants. Physiol Mol Plant Pathol 65:211–221Google Scholar
- Porebski S, Bailey LG, Baum BR (1997) Modification of a CTAB DNA extraction protocol for plants containing high polysaccharide and polyphenol components. Plant Mol Biol Rep 15:8–15Google Scholar
- Pushpika U, Jha RK, Dinkar S, Avinash M, Bhavanath J (2016) Overexpression of a cytosolic abiotic stress responsive universal stress protein (SbUSP) mitigates salt and osmotic stress in transgenic tobacco plants. Front Plant Sci 7:518Google Scholar
- Rachid L, Wang T, Bo O, Khurram Z, Li H, Zhang J, Lu Y, Ye Z (2012) SpUSP, an annexin-interacting universal stress protein, enhances drought tolerance in tomato. J Exp Bot 63:5593–5606Google Scholar
- Sarkar NK, Kim Y-K, Grover A (2014) Co-expression network analysis associated with call of rice seedlings for encountering heat stress. Plant Molec Biol 84:125–143Google Scholar
- Valvekens D, Montagu MV, Lijsebettens MV (1988) Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana root explants by using kanamycin selection. Proceed National Acad Sci USA 85:5536–5540Google Scholar
- Wan XL, Zhou Q, Wang YY, Wang WE, Bao MZ, Zhang JW (2015) Identification of heat-responsive genes in carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus L.) by RNA-seq. Front Plant Sci 6:519Google Scholar
- Wang B, Guo X, Zhao P, Ruan M, Yu X, Zou L, Yang Y, Li X, Deng D, Xiao J (2017) Molecular diversity analysis, drought related marker-traits association mapping and discovery of excellent alleles for 100-day old plants by EST-SSRs in cassava germplasms (Manihot esculenta Cranz). PLoS One 12:e0177456PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yan G, Long H, Song W, Chen R (2008) Genetic polymorphism of Malus sieversii populations in Xinjiang, China. Genetic Res Crop Evol 55:171–181Google Scholar