Two new silversides, Hypoatherina celebesensis and Hypoatherina macrophthalma, from the western Pacific (Atheriniformes: Atherinidae)
- 221 Downloads
Two new atherinid fishes, Hypoatherina celebesensis and Hypoatherina macrophthalma, are described based on specimens collected from the tropical western Pacific. Both new species are closely similar to Hypoatherina ovalaua in general appearance and having the long and distally narrow premaxillary ascending process, but differ from the latter in lacking a tooth patch on palatines and having a longer head [27–31 % of standard length (SL) vs. 25–28 % SL]. Hypoatherina celebesensis can be distinguished from H. macrophthalma by having the midlateral band running downward anteriorly (vs. running straight), and a smaller upper jaw (9.3–11 % SL vs. 10–11 % SL) and eyes (9.6–11 % SL vs. 11–12 % SL). Hypoatherina celebesensis is known from Singapore, Indonesia (North Sulawesi and Timor), and Palau. Hypoatherina macrophthalma is known from Vietnam, Thailand (Gulf of Thailand), Papua New Guinea, and Micronesia.
KeywordsAtherinidae New species Hypoatherina celebesensis Hypoatherina macrophthalma Western Pacific
We are deeply indebted to T. Peristiwady (Indonesian Institute of Sciences) for donation of specimens to FRLM, and to M.E. Anderson (SAIAB) for his critical comments on an earlier draft of the manuscript and his great help with the English language. We are most grateful to the following persons and institutions for specimen loans: M. McGrouther (AMS); J. Maclaine (BMNH); D. Catania and M. Hoang (CAS); T. Nakabo and Y. Kai (FAKU); M.-A. Rogers (formerly FMNH); G. Duhamel, P. Pruvost, and R. Causse (MNHN); Y. Iwatsuki (MUFS); K. Matsuura and G. Shinohara (NSMT); K. Miyamoto (Ocean Expo. Research Center); M.J.P. Oijen and R. de Ruiter (RMNH); T. Yoshino (formerly URM); J.T. Williams, L. Palmer and S. Raredon (USNM); P.K.L. Ng and K.K.P. Lim (ZRC). We also thank Y. Hibino, S. Takeuchi, and other students of FRLM for their cooperation in field collections. This study was supported in part by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) awarded to S.K. by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (11640696, 14540642, 19570084, and 23570114) and by the Multilateral Cooperative Research Program (Coastal Oceanography) and Asian Core Program of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- Bleeker P (1854) Nieuwe tientallen diagnostische beschrijvingen van nieuwe of weinig bekende vischsoorten van Sumatra. Natuurkd Tijdschr Neder Indië 5:495–534Google Scholar
- Eschmeyer WN (2012) Catalog of fishes. Online version, updated 7 June 2012. http://researcharchive.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/fishcatmain.asp. Accessed 3 July 2012
- Fowler HW (1903) Descriptions of new, little known, and typical Atherinidae. Proc Acad Nat Sci Phila 55:727–742Google Scholar
- Fricke R, Eschmeyer WN (2012) A guide to fish collections in the catalog of fishes. Online version, updated 12 January 2012. http://research.calacademy.org/research/Ichthyology/Catalog/collections.asp. Accessed 2 Mar 2012
- Herre AWCT (1935) New fishes obtained by the Crane Pacific Expedition. Field Mus Nat Hist Zool Ser 18:383–438Google Scholar
- Ivantsoff W, Crowley LELM (1999) Atherinidae. Silversides (or hardyheads). In: Carpenter KE, Niem VH (eds) FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes. The living marine resources of the western Central Pacific, vol 4. Bony fishes part 2 (Mugilidae to Carangidae). FAO, Rome, pp 2113–2139Google Scholar
- Ivantsoff W, Kottelat M (1988) Redescription of Hypoatherina valenciennei and its relationships to other species of Atherinidae in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Ichthyol Res 35:142–149Google Scholar
- Patten JM, Ivantsoff W (1983) A new genus and species of atherinid fish, Dentatherina merceri from the western Pacific. Jpn J Ichthyol 29:329–339Google Scholar
- Whitehead PJP, Ivantsoff W (1983) Atherina lacunosa and the fishes described by J.R. Forster. Jpn J Ichthyol 29:355–364Google Scholar