Physoschistura chindwinensis, a new balitorid loach from Chindwin basin, Manipur, India (Teleostei: Balitoridae)
- 126 Downloads
Physoschistura chindwinensis, a new balitorid species, is described from the Chindwin basin, Manipur, India. It is easily distinguished from congeners by the combination of characters: a dorsal fin with three simple and 8½ branched rays; body with 13–17 dark-brown bars on the sides, and 11–16 dark-brown saddles; interorbital space with a rectangular dark-brown shield-like mark; a caudal fin with 8 + 8 branched rays; a moderately developed axillary pelvic lobe; males with a suborbital flap; preoperculomandibular canal with seven pores; and an air bladder with a well-formed free posterior chamber.
KeywordsNemacheilinae Moreh Northeastern India New species
We are very grateful to K. Venkataraman and K. C. Gopi of ZSI for their promt actions in registering the paratypes in ZSI and to A. K. Karmakar of ZSI and N. Sen of ZSI-ERS for giving access to specimens under their care. The study was supported by the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi (Project No. SR/SO/AS-50/2008).
- Annandale N (1918) Fish and fisheries of the Inle’ Lake. Records Indian Mus 14:33–64Google Scholar
- Banarescu PM, Nalbant TT (1995) A generical classification of Nemacheilinae with description of two new genera (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Travaux du Mus d’Hist Nat “Grigore Antipa” 35:429–496Google Scholar
- Bohlen J, Šlechtová V (2011) A new genus and two new species of loaches (Teleostei: Nemacheilidae) from Myanmar. Ichthyol Exploration Freshw 22:1–10Google Scholar
- Chen X-Y, Kottelat M, Neely DA (2011) Physoschistura yunnaniloides, a new species of loach from Mayanmar (Teleostei: Nemacheilidae). Ichthyol Exploration Freshw 22:179–183Google Scholar
- Hora SL (1929) Notes on fishes in the Indian Museum. XVII. Loaches of the genus Nemachilus from Burma. Records Indian Mus 31:311–334, pls 14–15Google Scholar
- Kottelat M (1990) Indochinese nemacheilines. A revision of nemacheiline loaches (Pisces: Cypriniformes) of Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and southern Vietnam. Verlag, Dr. Friedrich Pfiel, München, 262 ppGoogle Scholar
- Kottelat M (2001) Fishes of Laos. Wildlife Heritage Trust Publications (Pte) Ltd, Colombo, 198 ppGoogle Scholar
- Singh A, Sen N, Banarescu P, Nalbant TT (1982) New noemacheiline loaches from India (Pisces, Cobitidae). Travaux du Mus d’Hist Nat “Grigore Antipa” 23:201–212Google Scholar
- Zhu S-Q (1982) Five new species of fishes of the genus Nemachilus from Yunnan Province, China. Acta Zoologica Sinica 7:104–111Google Scholar