Epigonus carbonarius, a new species of deepwater cardinalfish (Perciformes: Epigonidae) from the Marquesas Islands, with a redefinition of the Epigonus oligolepis group
- 90 Downloads
A new epigonid fish, Epigonus carbonarius, is described on the basis of four specimens (50.8–95.3 mm standard length) collected from off Nuku Hiva Island, Marquesas Islands. This species belongs to the Epigonus oligolepis group, redefined in this study. It is distinguished from the three recognized species of the group by the following combination of characters: a small number of total gill rakers (21–23) and pyloric caeca (6), presence of lingual teeth, and absence of teeth from posterior part of vomer. A key to the species in the E. oligolepis group is provided.
KeywordsEpigonus carbonarius Lingual teeth Rib Nuku Hiva Island
We are especially grateful to G. Duhamel and R. Causse (MNHN) for opportunity to examine the specimens of the new species. We also thank A.Y. Suzumoto (BPBM), M. Yabe and T. Kawai (HUMZ), L.M. Page and R.H. Robins (UF), and J.T. Williams and E. Wilbur (USNM) for loans of comparative materials, and O. Gon (South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity) for his critical reading of this manuscript.
- Abramov AA (1992) Species composition and distribution of Epigonus (Epigonidae) in the world ocean. J Ichthyol 32:94–108Google Scholar
- Ahlstrom EH, Butler JL, Sumida BY (1976) Pelagic stromateoid fishes (Pisces, Perciformes) of the eastern Pacific: kinds, distributions, and early life histories and observations on five of these from the North-west Atlantic. Bull Mar Sci 26:285–402Google Scholar
- Gon O (1985) Two new species of the deep-sea cardinalfish genus Epigonus (Perciformes, Apogonidae) from the Hawaiian Islands, with a key to the Hawaiian species. Pac Sci 39:221–229Google Scholar
- Leviton AE, Gibbs RH Jr, Heal E, Dawson CE (1985) Standards in herpetology and ichthyology. Part I. Standard symbolic codes for institutional resource collections in herpetology and ichthyology. Copeia 1985:802–832Google Scholar
- Mayer GF (1974) A revision of the cardinalfish genus Epigonus (Perciformes, Apogonidae), with descriptions of two new species. Bull Mus Comp Zool 146:147–203Google Scholar
- Mochizuki K, Shirakihara K (1983) A new and rare apogonid species of the genus Epigonus from Japan. Jpn J Ichthyol 30:199–207Google Scholar
- Okamoto M (2011) A new species of deepwater cardinalfish, Epigonus mayeri, from the eastern Central Atlantic, and redescription of Epigonus heracleus Parin and Abramov 1986 (Perciformes: Epigonidae). Ichthyol Res 58:101–108Google Scholar
- Rafinesque CS (1810) Indice d’ittiologia siciliana; ossia, catalogo metodico dei nomi latini italiani, e siciliani dei pesci, che si rinvengono in Sicilia: disposti secondo un metodo naturale e seguito da un appendice che contiene la descrizione di alcuni nuovi pesci siciliani. Presso Giovanni del Nobolo, MessinaGoogle Scholar