Record of Ipnops sp. (Ipnopidae: Aulopiformes) from northern Japan
We would like to express our sincere thanks to Dr. Tetsuya Miwa, JAMSTEC, for offering us the chance of a deep water faunal survey, and Captain Eikou Ukekura and other staff of R/V Yokosuka, JAMSTEC, for their kind support with the diving. We are also grateful to Dr. John Paxton for his critical review of an early draft of this paper.
- Nielsen JG (1966) Synopsis of the Ipnopidae (Pisces, Iniomi). Galathea Rep 8:49–75Google Scholar
- Okiyama M (1986) Bathypelagic capture of a metamorphosing juvenile of Ipnops agassizi (Ipnopidae, Myctophiformes). Jpn J Ichthyol 32:443–446Google Scholar
- Okiyama M (1988) Life history and metamorphosis of benthic deepsea fishes. In: Uyeno T, Okiyama M (eds) Ichthyology currents 1988. Asakura Shoten, Tokyo, pp 78–99Google Scholar
- Roper CFE, Brundage WL Jr (1972) Cirrate octopods with associated deep-sea organisms: new biological data based on deep benthic photographs (Cephalopoda). Smithsonian Contrib Zool 121:1–46Google Scholar
- Shcherbachev YN (1981) Preliminary review of the Indian Ocean species of the Chlorophthalmidae (Myctophiformes, Osteichthyes). In: Parin NV (ed) Fishes of the open ocean. Inst Oceanol Acad Sci USSR, Moscow, pp 47–67Google Scholar