Evidence for use of the bill by blue marlin, Makaira nigricans, during feeding
NEWS AND COMMENTS
- 220 Downloads
KeywordsStandard Length Prey Item Mantle Length Blue Marlin Engraulis Japonicus
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collette BB, Nauen CE (1983) FAO species catalogue, vol 2. Scombrids of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of tunas, mackerels, bonitos and related species known to date. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Fierstine, HL 1997An Atlantic blue marlin, Makaira nigricans, impaled by two species of billfishes (Teleostei: Istiophoridae)Bull Mar Sci61495499Google Scholar
- Frazier, JG, Fierstine, HL, Beavers, SC, Achaval, F, Suganuma, H, Pitman, RL, Yamaguchi, Y, Prigioni, CM 1994Impalement of marine turtles (Reptilia, Chelonia: Cheloniidae and Dermochelyidae) by billfishes (Osteichthyes, Perciformes: Istiophoridae and Xiphiidae)Environ Biol Fishes398596CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nakamura, I 1983Systematics of the billfishes (Xiphiidae and Istiophoridae)Publ Seto Mar Biol Lab28255396Google Scholar
- Rivas LR (1975) Synopsis of biological data on blue marlin, Makaira nigricans Lacépéde, 1802. Proceedings of the international billfish symposium, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, 9–12 August 1972, part 3, species synopses, pp 1–16Google Scholar
- Shimose, T, Shono, H, Yokawa, K, Saito, H, Tachihara, K 2006Food and feeding habits of blue marlin, Makaira nigricans, around Yonaguni Island, southwestern JapanBull Mar Sci79761775Google Scholar
- Voss, GL 1953A contribution to the life history and biology of the sailfish, Istiophorus americanus Cuv. and Val., in Florida watersBull Mar Sci Gulf Caribb3206240Google Scholar
- Wisner, RL 1958Is the spear of istiophorid fishes used in feeding?Pac Sci126070Google Scholar
© The Ichthyological Society of Japan 2007