Taxonomic status of the six-band morph of Cyphotilapia frontosa (Perciformes: Cichlidae) from Lake Tanganyika, Africa
Six- and seven-band morphs have been identified in a cichlid, Cyphotilapia frontosa, that is endemic to Lake Tanganyika. These color morphs have allopatric distributions; the six-band morph is widespread in the northern half of the lake while the seven-band morph is restricted to Kigoma on the east coast of the lake. Because no specimens of the seven-band morph have been available for taxonomic study except for the holotype of C. frontosa, the taxonomic status of these morphs has not been discussed. In a recent survey at the lake, 21 specimens of the seven-band morph were collected. A comparison of these with existing collection specimens of the six-band morph showed significant differences in morphometric and meristic characters; however, because all characters largely overlapped between these morphs, they are regarded as conspecific.
Key wordsCyphotilapiini Color morph Morphology ANOVA Canonical discriminant analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ICZN1999International code of zoological nomenclature, 4th ednInternational Trust for Zoological NomenclatureLondonGoogle Scholar
- Konings, A 1988Tanganyika cichlidsVerduijn Cichlids and Lake Fish MoviesZevenhizenGoogle Scholar
- Konings, A 1998Tanganyika cichlids in their natural habitatCichlid PressEl PasoGoogle Scholar
- Konings, A, Dieckhoff, HW 1992Tanganyika secretsCichlid PressEl PasoGoogle Scholar
- Paterson, HEM 1978More evidence against speciation by reinforcementS Afr J Sci74369371Google Scholar
- Poll, M 1986Classification des Cichlidae du lac Tanganika. Tribus, genres et espècesAcad R Belg Mém Cl Sci451163Google Scholar
- Regan, CT 1920The classification of the fishes of the Family Cichlidae. I. The Tanganyika generaAnn Mag Nat Hist 9 Ser53353Google Scholar
- Ribbink, AJ, Marsh, BA, Marsh, AC, Ribbink, AC, Sharp, BJ 1983A preliminary survey of the cichlid fishes of rocky habitats in Lake MalawiS Afr J Zool18149310Google Scholar
- Seehausen, O 1996Lake Victoria rock cichlids. Taxonomy, ecology, and distributionVerduyn CichlidsZevenhuizenGoogle Scholar
- Snoeks, J 2004
Material and methodsSnoeks, J eds. The cichlid diversity of Lake Malawi/Nyasa: identification, distribution and taxonomyCichlidEl Paso1218Google Scholar
- Sokal, RR, Rohlf, FJ 1995Biometry. The principles and practice of statistics in biological research3rd ednFreemanNew YorkGoogle Scholar